Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese Smoking times?

Scotty's Inferno
Scotty's Inferno Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long do you smoke cheese? I have overdone it and underdone it and wonder what you do. Cheese is on now! Thanks, Scott

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Scotty's Inferno,
    I do mine for one hour. Check out the post I put up last week :

[ul][li]http://www.eggheadforum.com/wwwboard/messages/446617.shtml[/ul]
  • Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Scotty's Inferno,
    I followed egret's recipe to a tee and the cheese came out tasting like a burned down house smells like.....

• Gadgetman,[p]Sorry about the house, but how was the taste and flavor?

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Gadgetman,[p]In a bad mood, Mark? Usually I don't dignify these types of posts with a response, but egret is such a humble, gentle and friendly member of this forum.[p]Instead of posting something completely unconstructive like that, why don't you discuss the specifics of YOUR attempt. Many have tried egret's cheese smoking technique with very positive results.[p]I know we all have to go back to work tomorrow, but let's try to be positive around here, eh?[p]TRex
  • Golfnut
    TRex,
    I'm not in a bad mood at all. I answered the guys question.
    Ifollowed egrets directions perfectly, the cheese tasted like a burned down house smells like. What can I say other than the truth.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Gadgetman,[p]"The guy's" question was, "How long do you smoke cheese?" I dnn't think you answered his question. Bad smoke taste can be due to a host of variables, not just time.[p]I'm not trying to stir something up, Mark. I just hate to see unwarranted negative comments on here. I'm not suggesting you tell lies, there are just more tactful ways of putting things.[p]Peace and have a good evening.[p]TRex
  • Scotty's Inferno,
    I do mine for an hour. I used lump charcoal rather than briquettes and used Guava. Came out great. I think if you use pressure treated, it comes out tasting like a burnt house.[p]Ed

• egret
    Gadgetman,
    So sorry to hear that! What kind of wood did you use, and, how much? It may be that some people just don't like 'smoked' cheese! We've tried the 'smoked' cheese you buy in the grocery store and liked that, too, even though it's chemically injected. I wish you didn't live so far away......I'd be delighted to share some of mine with you! It's a staple of ours and we keep it around all the time!

• JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    Gadgetman,
    I tried Egrets recipe also and got the same results, smelled like a 3 alarm fire, with that said, I think that my apple slivers were a little thicker than a 1/4", also i Didn't let the smoke settle down to a bluish or clearer color, I'm going to try it again next weekend with some adjustments, j.c.

• Egginator, Thanks. It was just a matter of math and wood types. My last attempt, with cherry at 45 minutes, was very good, but warranted a little more smoke flavor. My first attempt, with pecan or hickory at one and a half hours was a little too smokey, however it improved GREATLY with age.[p]So tonight, I went with cherry for 1 hour. I had a nice smoke going and my dome thermometer never moved above 90 degrees. I'm set for the holidays. What an easy treat. [p]Guava is a good idea. It didn't register for me for cheese, but now that you mention it.........Thanks, Scott

• egret
    Thank you, Jason, for your 'over generous and kind' comments! You'll find this cheese in our refrigerator at all times.....We love it, and, I'm sure there are some out there that just don't 'cotton to' the taste of smoked cheese.......

• Golfnut
    TRex,
    Let me see here...[p]I tried egrets recipe for smoked cheese but it didn't taste like I thought it would. Next time I'll try adjusting his method, mabey using lump charcoal and less wood and let the smoke from the wood settle a little before adding the cheese. Then mabey the cheese won't taste like a burned down house![p]Is that better?

• egret
    J.C .in NV.,
    Don't give up on this cheese because of a first-time trial that didn't come out as well as you wanted! This cheese can be 'over smoked' pretty easily! Once you get the hang of it you're gonna love it! Also, it will tend to mellow out after a day or so of refrigeration......

• Scotty's Inferno,
    I agree with you that it improves with age. However, I took a hunk to the inlaws the day after smoking and it was gone really fast. (Before the shrimp and cocktail sauce. I wish I had done more, but I still have almonds to do, and some elk jerky some pulled pork for tamales and... and... I have to stop reading this forum.[p]Ed

• Golfnut
    J.C .in NV.,
    I'll try it again also, we love smoked cheese. I was thinking of using lump but egret said he tried that and didn't like it as well. Mabey less wood or let the smoke settle will do the trick.
    Post if you come up with a better results, please!

• Egginator, have you seen how I do jerky? There may be some helpful ideas here. Scott[p]

[ul][li]elk joiky anyone?[/ul]
  • Scotty's Inferno,
    I think I stole your coffee can. I used to hang the meat, but I have changed to the platesetter with multiple grid method. It's way easier to control the times and move the pieces around. Even bought a meat slicer![p]IMG_6152.jpg[p]Too much meat on this batch. This is the one that made me switch over to multiple grids.[p]IMG_6154.jpg[p]Ed

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Scotty's Inferno,
    I followed egrets method for three types of cheese. The string cheese came off after one hour and the hot pepper along with colby/jack came off after 2 hours smoking. I had a consistant light cool smoke going using a smokin box charged with wild black cherry. The cheese was outstanding and a big hit at two Thanksgiving dinner parties. I seal the freshly smoked cheese in foodsaver bags and throw them in the frig to age a couple of days or more before serving. The aging mellows the smoke flavor. [p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    egret,[p]Did you know Wicked Good makes Weekend Warrior BRIQUETTES? I saw your post and intend to try your method of smoking cheese with them. [p]I've used them for regular cooks and even a low and slo. Not disappointed at all although there is a little more ash than usual.
    [ul][li]Weekend Warrior BRIQUETTES[/ul]
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    J.C .in NV.,
    I have a Bradley Smoker that I use for smoking cheese and it's great! I let the cheese (after smoking), sit in the frig for 5 days to mellow out the smoke. Too many steps involved with smoking cheese in the BGE. Easier with the Bradley smoker. For everything else, I use the BGE, which is great! [p]John

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Okeejohn,[p]The electric smokers have a definite place. I have some Big Chief's which have the hotplate set-up. Burning only wood verses a charcoal/wood fire is a real advantage on something as delicate as cheese.[p]One thing I will do in the summer is to unplug it before adding the rack of cheese and just let the wood burning in the pan go for 15 or 20 minutes. Then I'll plug it back in for 15 minutes and repeat this cycle. I still get nice smoke but without the heat. On a cold day in the winter, I just vent the lid so the smoke flows through. I try to keep it 70 or 80 degrees in the box.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery