Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recovery time after adding meat

Options
Ron_L
Ron_L Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just put a 5 lb boneless rib roast into my large Egg. The Egg was stable at 275 for about 45 minutes prior to putting the meat in. When I put in the meat and two russet potatoes the dome temp dropped to about 180 and slowly recovered to 275 in about 30 minutes.[p]So... Here's my question. Does that recovery time count as cooking time? In other words, I had planned on two hours for the roast. Is it going to be two hours from when I put it in or two hours from when the temp was back to 275 again? I know that the meat is done when its done, but I am using the time estimate to plan the rest of the meal.[p]...ron

Comments

• Ron_L, [p]Should not have a problem with total cooking time, but if behind schedule raise to 300F and keep an eye on the thermometer. You do have one inserted in the roast?? hehe LOL
  • Ron_L
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    Yep...[p]Thanks for the info.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Ron_L,[p]I've been asking myself the same thing after gourging on turkey and ham all week - what should I expect my recovery time to be after adding all this meat to my daily intake?[p]Since my meals more typically entail peanut butter and jelly, and the occasional chik-fila sandwich, my body is going to be in shock starting tomorrow when I go back to work and "normal eating." So, what should I expect my recovery time to be?[p]Happy (burp) Last Day of Gourging,[p]TRex
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Ron_L,
    When you put your meat on the Egg your temp will drop. I don’t start timing the two hr cook until the temp has recovered and is back up to 275. [p]However some things may be cooked sooner than your calculation time or may take longer so it’s always best to have a temp probe in your meat to make sure the meat is the temp you want it to be. [p]AuntieEgger

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Ron_L,[p]Two potatoes and a 5 lb rib roast? Sounds about right to me.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Ron_L
    Options
    drbbq,[p]Sounded about right to me, too, but my wife insisted on having some :)

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Ron_L,
    It's normal for the temp to drop. Everything humming along fine and stable... you open things up and throw everything out of whack, and you introduce a cold mass... No rocket science here, the temp drops. I always open the vents and reestablish a happy point. Just pay attention to things while you make your corrections. Soon, everything will stabilize again, and you can continue with your favorite grilling assistant. In my case, I'd go with a Surly beer.[p]Mike in MN

• Little Steven
    Options
    Ron_L,[p] That was funny![p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON