Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salt and eggplants

char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing eggplant slices on the grill tonight. What's the story on salting eggplants during prep? How long? How much? Etc.

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    char buddy,
    Our buddy Alton Brown just featured this Wed night.

[ul][li]egg plant recipes[/ul]
  • Painter
    char buddy,
    Sorry about the salt question. Follow the eggplant pasta suggestion with the salt draining procedure. I think he did this before grilling also. Not 100% sure. I'll have to see the next repeat to verify.
    Painter

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Hey Char ole buddy -[p]If the eggplant is to be sauteed, salting first seems to cut down on the amount of oil it absorbs. But I don't bother salting when it's cooked on the grill. I've never had a problem with bitterness as long as the eggplants are fresh and firm.[p]Regards to Carolyn & Thomas -[p]Cathy[p]
  • Painter,[p]That was perfect. I saw the same show and decided to the eggplant steaks, but I couldn't remember how much time to give to the salt purge.
    Trying'em tonight.

• Cat,[p]Hey dude, it's great to your "voice."[p]How's by you and Roy? how's NYC?[p]Got a new mortar and pestle after busting my last one from too much frustration ;-)[p]doing your ribs for my annual superbowl party - and what with the Eagles flying high, who knows what that might be like. [p]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    char buddy,
    Peel the eggplant if you like. Sprinkle salt on all sides and stack to prevent browning. Let stand for 30 minutes and then grill or fry. The salt draws some of the water out of the eggplant.
    JimW

• Cat
    char buddy,[p]DUDE? Wow, this cold is worse than I thought. ;-}[p]We're hanging in there. NYC is getting back to normal, and the restaurant biz (major fun) is picking up a bit. I brought the boss some Egged beef jerky...he's still raving about it.[p]By the way, Roy claims it's pronounced 'Iggles.' [p]Cathy
  • Butch M
    Butch M Posts: 52
    JimW,
    The eggplant sounds great. How long and at what temp should it be cooked. Once it is cooked, how is it served?
    Thanks for your help.
    Butch M

• Cat,[p]okay, okay. Make it dudette and you always sound fine.[p]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Painter,
    Baba Ghannouj is really great when the eggplant has been cooked on the BGE! JCA

• Butch M,[p]follow your nose to Painter's pointer. At the foodtv site look for eggplant steak by alton brown. I'm planning on grilling mine at 400* for a few minutes like he says.

• Cat
    J Appledog,[p]Absolutely! My family makes a very simple chopped eggplant (Romanian in origin) - a little oil, finely chopped onion, salt & pepper - that's even better with Egg-roasted eggplant.[p]I also have a tricked-up Turkish version that includes ground walnuts, cumin, garlic and Greek yogurt - a terrific dip with pita bread.[p]Cathy

• Painter
    J Appledog,
    Yes it looked good on the show. Next growing season eggplant will be in the garden. My daughter loves them and usually they produce like crazy,(eggplant not my daughter) so I can share.
    Painter

• J Appledog,[p]Steven Raichlin included an extra step in his baba gannouj- He studs the eggplant with cloves of garlic before grilling.[p]I have used this technique with great results.[p]-Skooter
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Butch M,
    I'll defer to the others for grilling. For frying, do the following:[p]Pour oil to a scant 1/4-inch depth in a large skillet; heat over medium heat. Meanwhile, dip eggplant slices in 2 lightly beaten eggs. Dredge in cornmeal, shaking off excess. Fry eggplant, in batches if necessary, for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and tender when pierced with a fork (be careful not to overcook or you will get eggplant mush). Transfer to paper towels to drain.[p]I may be nuts, but I like to serve them with lemon juice and catsup. Hope this helps.
    JimW

• J Appledog
    Cat, Might you be willing to share that recipe? Julie

• J Appledog
    Skooter, that's how I did it but I can't remember where I saw the recipe. JCA

• Cat
    J Appledog,[p]But of course! I'll post it tonight or over the weekend.[p]Cathy
  • Cat
    J Appledog,[p]I found the recipe online. A minor typo: in step 4, it should read 'add TO the eggplant pulp.'[p]I use smoked Spanish paprika (the hot kind) instead of jalapenos, and thick Greek-style yogurt instead of the drained domestic-style. I also chop the walnuts fine and stir them in rather than sprinkling on top. GOOD stuff![p]Cathy
    [ul][li]Turkish Roasted Eggplant Puree[/ul]