Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting a mini and a table today

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just checked UPS tracking, and it looks like today's the day that my order from BGE will be arriving. I bought a large with all the eggcessories about 3 months ago. After recovering from the sticker shock with the help of many successful cooks, thanks in no small way to the great help I've had with this forum, I've always been intrigued by the mini. [p]Well, last week, I kinda went nuts. (There's no 'kinda' to it if you ask my wife) I called BGE direct, and place an order for the mini, and while I had him on the phone, I inquired about tables. (I had heard rumors they were discontinuing them due to a lack of redwood)
He said that no only did they have them in pine, but also in cypress, which he highly recommended. And he said that for an extra ten bucks, he would get the carpenter to modify the 58x25x32 table to hold both the large and the mini. So I went for it.[p]And I know you're wondering what the shipping costs were. It was 50 dollars for the 109 lb. box (table) and 25 bucks for the 42 lb. box (mini). So now you know it's true when I said I went nuts. ;)[p]But I've got to ask. For those of you that have a mini and a large, what are your favorite things that you like to do with the mini. I already have some ideas, but I'd like to get your input. And if you have some ideas about mini accessories, please share them.[p]Mini-hooked in Stafford, Texas

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    DavidR,
    Baked potatoes and Calzone.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    minicook.jpg
    <p />DavidR,
    Here is a couple of pictures of my mini...I have two grids in the mini...I think I hade 28 chicken drunetts on it at one time.
    Larry

[ul][li]Mini Egg[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    DavidR,
    Congratulations, sound like a great decision to me. I think you were smart to have the extra hole cut in the table for Miss Mini. One thing I might mention is that I find cooking on mine is because the grate is closer to the fire I must be careful not to over char the meat. I am more used to my large and sometime forget about the meat being closer to the heat source in Miss Mini.
    Enjoy your new toy and keep the wife happy, Ü
    New Bob

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    YB,[p]Thanks for the pics! I noticed on that one pic that you had an adjustable top. Did you make that, or did it come with the mini?

• Just-RuthandJim
    Options
    DavidR, Jim and I use our mini almost as much as our large BGE. Since there are only two of us we often fire it up at lunch for a hamburger on buffalo burger. I find, since we really prefer our beef rare, that I can go from a small (6 to 8 oz ), frozen, range raised steak beef using aproximately 4 min per side and 5 min dwell. This with vegies left over from a Large BGE cook, rice, and salad make a quick and easy meal....enjoy your mini....we have

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    DavidR, I do three to four hamburgers or six bratwurst or 8 hot dogs or a pork tenderloin (indirect with a pan between two grills) or a small beef roast or a nice fish filet (salmon). I've not done it but I heard of people doing cornish hens or small chickens and turkey breasts. It's quite useful an dthe best part is that you can carry it with you to your mother-in-law's house (or elsewhere).

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    DavidR,[p]Don't forget about roasting peanuts on the mini. The batch size is almost perfect while downing a beer or two.[p]Puj
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Puj,
    I l-o-v-e roasted peanuts but as often as I thought about roasting some on my Egg I just never got around to it. Not an excuse for a real roasted peanut eater but that's my loss. Mine me asking... how do you do yours? I'll follow your lead and tweek it to the kind of peanuts we have around here (Texas). Thanks in advance.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    DavidR,
    Hamburgers, filet mignon, lobster, chocolate chip cookies, chicken cordon bleu, hot dogs & sausages.... JCA

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]I just roast them in their shell indirect between 325°F and 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done. I will give them a good stir 2 or 3 times during the roast.[p]I did a couple of batches on the large Egg at this past Eggtoberfest.[p]Puj
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Puj,
    Thanks. I will try some this weekend.

• YB
    Options
    DavidR,
    I had a stainless steel ring made... 9"x1 1/2"x1/8".I bought a extra grid from our egg store and now can cook twice as many wings at one time.
    Larry

• YB
    Options
    miniring.jpg
    <p />DavidR,
    Here is a picture of the ring and two grids.
    Larry

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    J Appledog,
    chocolate chip cookies! ? ! YOU DA' GIRL. How do you do that? I can see it now Mrs. Dogs Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough with just a hint of heat. Ya works for me.