Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Schweinhaxen

Options
billt
billt Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
googeled found stuff most seem so serve with saurkraut although the below link does not. seems like it is braised in beer then roasted.
[ul][li]http://www.kitchenproject.com/kpboard/recipes/SCHEINEHAXEN.htm[/ul]

Comments

• Dover_Gal
    Options
    bill,
    Having lived in a part of Germany that had a "Haxenfest" or Hocks Festival every year, we saw them mostly rotisserie roasted outside and served with dumplings or spatzle or some kind of thick, torpedo shaped noodle (schupfnudln--really a kind of gnocchi) that could be mixed or not with sauerkraut. Typically, we did not see sauerkraut, though, the French next door being the bigger consumers of it. [p]The Bavarians probably do haxen this way however, they do more stewed meat than the Badisch and Schwabians. We lived in Baden-Wuerrtemburg, near Stuttgart.

• Beerco
    Beerco Posts: 25
    Options
    dover_gal,[p]Hey, I got introduced to Schweinshaxe near Stuttgart too. I lived in Gechingen for a while, then a quick stint in Boeblingen followed by a few monthes in Sindelfingen.[p]There was a little joint called the Funtzel in SiFi that made some absolutely awesome Haxe. Their Linsen mit Spaetzle were brilliant too.[p]I've made haxe on my egg once and they came out very good. I skipped the boiling because it just seemed wrong to me. The only difficulty was I direct grilled to crisp up the skin and it didn't come out quite evenly. Perhaps a high temp indirect finish could do it. Or a rotisserie.[p](BTW Schupfknudle are my favoerite. There's a place in Stuttgart called Bernies that just nails em!)
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    beerco,
    I used to work in the Hotel Fontana in Stuttgart and I loved getting the Schweinshaxe in this local bar. I have never been able to get the skin as crispy as they did either. I would like to hear more about your process. Hoss

• Beerco
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ,[p]Well, I've only made it once and I based what I did on what I read here: http://www.kufstein.org/stelze/ I wasn't keeping a log at the time so I'm working from memory.[p]IIRC I set up the haxe on some country ribs like the picture says. I believe I used just salt and pepper for seasoning. I then roasted probably at 250 to 300 for several hours. I think that I then cranked it up to like 500 or something in an attempt to crisp the skin. I didn't work, possibly I wasn't patient enough but I also didn't want to overcook them.[p]I then kicked up the heat, removed the pan and grilled directly until the skin puffed up and got crispy crackly. I rotated often and got most of the skin right, but not all of it. This is where a rotisserie would be perfect. I may have to figure out a way to do it.
  • Dover_Gal
    Options
    beerco,
    That sounds great, and it is true, in our town in Germany, they used a huge rotisserie. We'd walk right down to the center of the dorf, about 1/4 mile, and have haxen and beer. And listen to some really wierd tales by the drunk women about bad pregnancies (really great in dialect with drunk slurs.)

• Just came back from dinner at Haxnbauer in Munich. The skin is incredibly crisp. They would not give me the recipe, but they did say it is marinated first (not braised) in something, my guess this is really a brine with some added herbs abd spices. Then they rosisserie it for three hours.

• Beerco
    Options
    dover_gal,[p]Speaking of weird, check out this photo journal of some genuine Germans making Schweinshaxen - I think I posted it before but it's worth looking at. Speedos are obviously essential to get a good result.[p]http://www.grillsportverein.com/schweinshaxen/