Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Coffee Grinder

Options
Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am turning to you guys and gals for help again... can anyone reccommend a good inexpensive coffee grinder? I am looking at the cuisinart supreme burr mill grinder.

Comments

• Good Eats,[p]I have 3 of these: one for coffee, one for spices and the third justs sits around lonely. If you do spices in the coffee one just run some rice through after the spices and the flavor goes away.

[ul][li]http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1355389[/ul]
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Good Eats,[p]I am a firm believer in Capresso products. I highly recommend a burr grinder over a blade grinder. They are much better at controlling the coarseness of your grind.[p]I have a Capressa burr grinder, drip brewer, and a Jura-Capresso Impressa E8 automatic center. Their products are awesome. If I recall, the founder of the company was the VP in charge of coffee products for Krups and left because of a lack of commitment to quality or some such story.[p]I am a coffee fiend and a bit of a coffee snob. Capresso makes some good stuff.
    [ul][li]Capresso Grinders[/ul]
  • Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    Good Eats,
    It hasn't received the best reviews on Coffeegeek.com (Coffeegeek.com is a great site for coffee and coffee equipment. I am Ron_L there, too). I have almost as many coffee toys as I do BBQ toys :)[p]http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/cuisinartdbm8[p]I bought one of the grinders linked below for my parents and have recommended it to several friends and they all like it. I was impressed by the consistency of the grind.[p]http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/capresso/555.htm[p]If you can spend a little more, this is a good choice...[p]http://www.wholelattelove.com/Capresso/infinityburr.cfm[p]BTW, I am not affiliated with Whole Latte Love or 1st Line. I have done business with both many times and have never been disappointed.

• Ron_L
    Options
    Fidel,
    I guess we have something in common besides the Egg! I am also a coffee fiend (actually, coffee geek is probably more accurate :) ). Check out the Coffeegeek.com web site if you haven't already. I am also a home roaster and espresso nut.[p]...ron (Caffeinated In The Suburbs!)

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Good Eats, We have been through several high end coffee grinders. This summer I was visiting an old friend in a small town in indiana and talked him into getting a coffee grinder. He purchased a Mr. Coffee Grinder at the local WalMart for around $20.00 that I really liked and later we purchased one also. You can get them at Target or WalMart and they have the choice of 3 grinds and number of cups. The best part is that they are the easiest to clean. The top separates from the motor and it's easy cleaning from then on. Good luck.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Ron_L,[p]I am about to go draw me a double espresso in advance of the MU-KU game.[p]What kind of beans do you roast? I am partial to Sumatra and other heavy bodied coffees. I'm not into the science of it all, but I really enjoy a good cup of coffee. I always wanted to get into roasting my own, but I would end up trying it on the egg and starting a new fad of smoked coffee or some such nonsense.
  • ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    Good Eats,
    I would recommend either the Solis/Baratza Maestro or the Rancilio conical bur grinders. I would not get a blade grinder if you are at all discriminating about your coffee. In fact, no grinder is preferable to a blade grinder. The grind is so un-uniform that the extraction is all over the board. This is especially true if you use a French press or a vac pot.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Fidel,
    We've discussed that her before. Impractical is the conclusion that was come up with.[p]I recently decaffinated. Took a week to get used to it but now I'm okay with it. I still get my beans at a local gourmet coffee house that has the cold water filtered decaf beans.[p]Of the decaf I like their summatra and their house blend which has a mix of dark and light roasted beans.[p]H

• Ron_L
    Options
    Fidel,
    I am a big fan of African and Indonesian coffees. If I had to pick one origin it would be Ethiopia. The major growing regions in Etiopia are Harrar, Sidamo and Yirgacheffe and I love all three. Sumatra is another favorite as is Sulawesi, Yemen and Papua New Guinea. I buy 90% of my green coffee through a buying club. We buy coffee in bulk and split it up between the members.[p]http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com[p]When a friend heard that I had an Egg he asked me if I was going to roast in it. The design would make it difficult since the beans need to be agitated while roasting. I roast in a drum inside of a gas grill. I can roast up to 3 lbs at a time. It works great![p]

[ul][li]RK Drums[/ul]
  • Ron_L
    Options
    ab ovo,
    I would also recommend those if the price doesn't bother you. I use the Solis Maestro Plus for brewed coffee (as opposed to espresso) and it is a workhorse.[p]I also second (or third) the recommendation for a burr grinder over a blade grinder. A burr grinder produces consistent particle sizes and much less dust. A blade grinder produces many different particle sizes and lots of dust. This is important since the varying size particles will extract at different rates. Coffee that is over-extracted is bitter and coffee that is underextracted can be sour.

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Good Eats,
    would be helpful if you would tell us how you brew your coffee and your idea of inexpensive. wholelattelove, and sweetmarias are good sources as well as the below coffeegeek. i am a snob, roast my own, and yes i have done it on the egg! currently use rancilio doserless rocky and miss sylvia espresso maker. the machine ie. mr.coffee, french press, inexpensive or high end espresso maker makes a huge difference in what you need . feel free to e-mail me if i can help.

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Good Eats, Gagga MDF for a good quality "low" price expresso grade burr grinder.

• mr.b
    mr.b Posts: 75
    Options
    Good Eats, we have had a cuisinart dbm-8 for about a year now and it does a great job. we love seattles best coffee and get it in 5 lb bags from borders bookstores. it the only place i can buy it in bulk.

• hayhonker
    Options
    Good Eats,
    I have the Cuisinart of which you speak. I use it every day with the 4 or 6 cup setting.
    It does work better than the spinning blade style grinders.[p]Until I went to coffeegeek.com and learned about real commercial quality grinders I was perfectly satisfied with the Cuisinart.[p]The coffee snobs generally do agree that if you use paper filters in a drip coffee maker it is a fine grinder.[p]Good luck!

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Ron_L,
    ya yes coffeegeek.com, my second home. I have a Infinity grinder, a Hottop roaster, Techv brewer, a Krubs Moka Brewer, and a Gaggia espressso unit. I also have over 12 5# bags of greens beans in the closet.

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    Ron_L,
    Thanks Ron, That is the first time I have seen some one spell out in laymen terms why you need a uniform grind. [p]Pdub

• ranger ray
    Options
    ab ovo, thanks for the advice....i just ordered a solis/barastza maestro plus...rr.

• Ron_L
    Options
    tach18k,
    Cool! It looks like there are a few coffeegeeks around here! I have an Izzo Alex Mark II espresso machine, a La San Macro LSM90 commercial grinder for espreswso (eBay find), a Solis Maestro Plus grinder for drip, a Gene Cafe Roaster for the depth of winter and an RK drum in an old Sear gasser for the rest of ther year. I also have a modified Mellita Clarity for drip (mostly for my wife) and a Bodum vac pot for brewed coffee for me.[p]Here's my espresso setup.[p]IMG_1495.jpg[p]Here's my best latte art so far (I am learning)[p]IMG_4308.jpg