Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Back Strap

Options
Wasted Words
Wasted Words Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received a gift of some Venison Back Strap from my neighbor. Anybody have a good recipe to prepare it, ala BGE?

Comments

• Wasted Words,[p]As my BGE is just a couple of months old, I have not tried these on the BGE - but they work great on a regular grill. So the BGE is a given.[p]Venison Poppers:[p]Slice backstrap in 1/4" thick medalions and marinate overnight in WishBone Italian dressing. Slice one package of bacon in thirds - each slice of bacon into 3 pieces. Place a medalion on 1/3 slice of bacon, top with jalepeno slice (fresh or pickled)and a cube of cream cheese. Roll with bacon on outside and secure with toothpick. Grill until bacon is sizzling - does not take long. I promise, the plate will be empty before you get it to the table. Great appetizer. (Also can be done with duck breast).[p]Grilled Backstrap:[p]Marinate whole backstrap in WishBone Italian dressing over night. Wrap backstrap in bacon slices and grill until medium to medium rare. Do not over cook as the backstrap is very lean and will dry out.[p]Enjoy. I am out of backstrap and sure hope my son gets a deer soon.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Wasted Words,
    once did one direct, after marinating in a little red wine, olive oil, and fresh herbs.
    served it with a black currant sauce, which i googled. i just happened to have black currant jelly... it was EXCELLENT

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Wasted Words,
    Slice 2" thick, wrap in bacon, a little seasoned salt ( or DP) & pepper, a little teryaki and cook to MR at the donest. Wife likes these better than a filet now.
    Tom

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    Wasted Words,
    marinate overnight in teriyaki and wrap with bacon. cook to medium rare.

• Marlin Darlin
    Options
    Wasted Words,
    See AlaskanC's Blueberry BBQ sauce and my follow up on 11/15/07. Blacken to med-rare and serve with a cranberry or dark cherry sauce and top with crumbled bleu cheese. Janet

• Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Wasted Words,
    I suggest to marinate in Zesty Italian Dressing 24-48 hours, don't cut until after cooking. Cover with several bacon slices and cook to medium on the egg with hickory wood for smoke. Remove from the egg and allow to rest for 30 min. wrapped in wax paper and towels. Carve into 1 inch fillets and serve with taters, salad and a great brewsky.