Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's hear some Potato Recipes!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]There doesn't seem to be too many potato recipes around. Anything interesting to do in the Egg? Getting tired of French Fries :).[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Jamesw,
    Slice the taters in 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick slices. Coat with your favorite rub, and some olive oil. Grill over a purty hot but not turbo fire (400 or so dome) until browned nicely on both sides (10-15 minutes a side maybe).[p]Mmmmmmmmm. Better 'n french fries.
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Jamesw,
    If you do not already own a copy of Smoke & Spice, you need to get one.
    But in the mean time, for scallop potatoes, slice potatoes about 1/4 inch thick. Using the indrect method, bring smoker to 200-250 with a few peices of you favorite 'flavor' wood and smoke for 45 min. then make scallop receipe as usual. (Any good cook book will have a receipe for scallop potatoes). The receipe is also in the Smoke & Spice bbq cook book. This is really a must have bbq cook book.[p]Marv

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Jamesw,
    I took an old brinkman rib rack and cut it in half.
    Then I cut off the horizontal pieces as well leaving
    a bunch of spikes sticking straight up. Rub the potatos
    with olive oil and dust with kosher salt. Impale the
    taters on the spikes and set the whole thing on a fire
    brick or two (just enough to shield the potatos, no more).
    Then I cook them for 25-30 minutes at around 550 for
    excellent baked taters. They cook fast with that hot spike
    running through them and they slightly blacken on the
    outside. Oh, oil the spikes so the tater doesn't stick.
    Chuck

• Jamesw,
    Twiced baked. scoop out 2 large baked potatoes and mash. Add 1T sour cream, 1t salt, 1T butter, and 1 T Pickapeppa sauce. Mix and add hot 1/2 and 1/2 to desired consistency. Stuff back into shells, but not to the top just yet. Now add some crushed bacon (yes, add Bacos if you must..), and a large pinch of shredded cheddar. Push these down with your thumb if no one's looking. Now top off with a final schmear of potato, sprinkle with paprika, and egg at 300 for about 15 minutes. For variety add a T of prepared horse radish, nice.

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Breasts_potatoes.jpg
    <p />Jamesw,[p]I cut small red potatoes into ping ball size chunks, coat with olive oil, parsley, basil, oregano, seasoned salt (or whatever suits your fancy). I grill them direct at about 300 for 10 minutes until browned, then move them to the side of the egg above the fire ring and let them bake for another 20 minutes. I then raise the temp to 400 to grill the breasts or chops. The meat and taters come to the table at the same time.[p]Carl T

• wash small potatos cut into quaters. place in a container, then drizzle some olive oil over them & some of your favorite rub or Lawries season salt + rosemary ( dried or fresh sprigs). toss or mix by hand for even distribution of ingredients.
    place in a drip pan and let it roast til golden brown
    350 to 400°F

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Jamesw,[p]Here is one from Char~Woody that I like.

[ul][li]Campfire Potatos[/ul]
  • Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Jamesw,
    I really enjoy the "Grilled Ceasar Spud Salad" that is listed under the recipe section of the BGE website. Also just plain baked potatoes coated garlic pepper and a little bit of oil is a standard when I cook something on the egg.[p]Steve

• Jamesw,[p]James....this is something I've tried and it comes out pretty darn good!! I di this when I have something on the Egg and either put them on during the end of the cook time or after the cook has been taken off and is cooling down. Take whatever number you need of large baking potatoes and poke holes in them with a fork. I throw them in the microwave until they start to soften up a little. One they are, say 1/2-3/4 done, I put them in a conventional over for at 375 until done. When they are fully cooked, I take them out and let them cool for a while. When they can be handeled, I cut an oval in the top of the potatoes and scoop out the inside. I set aside the skin and put the insides into a mixing bowl. I then add sour cream, chives, some milk and shredded cheddar cheese. The amount depends on what you want for flavor and the number of potatoes, but I just make them "look" like thick mashed potatoes. When the misture is done, making sure it's nt to "liquidy" (is that a word?) I scoop it back into the potato skins. I add more cheddar cheese to the top of the stuffed potato and put on egg for 20 minutes around 300. These can be done in a cenventional oven but the egg adds flavor, and it looks more impressive!!! Good Luck!!

• Jamesw,
    Quarter medium size spuds. Mainade in Italian salad dressing for couple hours. Grill direct med. heat for 30 to 40 min. Sprinkle with Parm. cheese last couple min.... Nuke desired potatoes untill 1/2 done. Cut into 8 lenghtwise spears. Indian style...marinade in following mixture for aprox. 1 hour. 1/4 Cup oil, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp each allspice, nutmeg, crushed cloves. Grill direct for 20 min. Tex-Mex version 1/4 cup oil, 1 to 3 tsp hot sauce, 4 TBL steak sauce, 1 tsp chili powder....Cut Med. red potatoes into 1/2 In. dice. Put in bowl with 1/2 cup oil and 1 Pkg. Onion soup mix. Grill direct in grill wok for med heat 1/2 hour. Just some quick Ideas...Kurt

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Grate Grills,[p]Wow, absolutely great looking spud recipes. Thanx for sharing. If only I had seen this sooner - got a boring standard baked potato going right now. It was rubbed with olive oil and rolled in sea salt prior to going on a 400* Egg.[p]K~G

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    potato-jj.jpg
    <p />Jamesw,[p]I have about 300 pictures on my Bge website - I knew I had one of Nature Boy and some taters he did for me once when I went past his place last year. He just sliced thin, added seasoning and grilled for a few minutes. I'll let him tell you how he did them - but here they are.[p]Use whatever seasoning you have available - or make your own :-][p]Tim
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Jamesw,[p]Either Jewel or Jim Nufer (or both) made some very good taters at last year's Eggfest which I've since approximated at home. Essentially, cook potatoes whole over a low heat and some smoke (I used apple) until almost cooked through. Remove the taters and slice them into halves, thirds, or fourths horizontally. Basically, you can go as slin as "tater skins" or as think as half potatoes. Place these on a baking sheet which can fit in your BGE (like Jim/Jewel did) or in the oven (like I did). I seasoned mine with EV Olive Oil, kosher salt, black pepper, shallots, herbes de provence, bacon, chives, and some with extra sharp cheddar and the others with feta cheese. Bake these in either the oven or the Egg until the cheese melts, serve, and enjoy.[p]These go great with beef and (duh) beer.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Tom D.,
    This sounds great. I might add some wood to the egg, spread the mixture into a swallow pan and put on egg to get the ENTIRE potatoe mixture flavored with the smoke (smoke is a flavoring agent too) about 10 min. then scoop back into the skin add the cheese and set back on egg until melted.[p]www.marvsbbq.com

• Marv,
    now THAT sounds like a GREAT addition!!

• olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Take new potatos, the ones the size of golf balls and quarter them. Shake them in a bag with sea salt, olive oil and garlic. Put them in an iron skillet on top the egg.[p]Cook at 350 -400 till tender, stirring occasionally till tender

• Woohoo, that is a lot of great Potato recipes!![p]Thanks all, it will keep me busy for a long time!! :)
  • Nature Boy,
    I'm not saying that they aren't good. I'm sure they are. I love taters!:o)
    But you've got to admit. Seeing a picture of them looking raw on a grate isn't going to make your mouth water. Most times just reading a good recipe will getcha fired up to cook em. They even seem to taste better when the person who created it gets credit for it. :o) It's not the taters. It's not you. It's the act of posting them. And he posts a lot of stuff like this. Q on young man :o)

• Hi folks, I'm a newb, love the Egg and this forum rocks!

I just tried this today and it worked out great....probably already been done, but I just had to share.

Take 10 small Red Taters, wash, cut into 1/8ths, wash again, then boil for about 10 minutes at a high boil (nearly done), then take them off and let them drain/cool for about 30 minutes.

LIGHTLY coat with EVOO and your fave seasonings (Seasoned salt and onion powder for me). I put mine on an oiled "topper" at around 350 (grill extender as well) for about 15 minutes...very light crisp to the exterior and the middle is wonderful.

2864135964_51809be02c_m.jpg