Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What a Deal

EggoholicEggoholic Posts: 90
edited 6:29PM in EggHead Forum
Went to kroger last night just to see if they had there turkey on sale, which they did. Also found a 21# fresh ham for 17 bucks (WOW). Now the only thing is dont really know how long to cook it and at what temp. Thought about just doing some type of rub and a low and slow cook with some alder chip! Whatcha Think?
·

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Ham2Small.jpg
    <p />Sven,[p]I do hams in a very simple manner, but they turn out great. If it is skin on, be sure to score it well. On these above I should have scored them more, but that skin comes off anyway so not really important. I put mine with the bone end up, indirect at 300* until 145 internal. [p]The skin and fat layers are so thick and are coming off anyway, so the only place I put any rub is on the exposed meat end. They turn out great and no additional seasoning is needed in my opinion.[p]Save the skin and a little fat and bones for a great pot of ham and beans later on down the road.
    ·
  • Fidel,
    How long does it usually take you?

·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Sven,[p]Those were just a tad over ten pounds each and took about 3.5 hours.
    ·
  • Fidel,
    thanks

·