Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temps..just for reference

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had the egg stabalized at 325°-330° for 45 minutes to an hour....I just put a 12# turkey on and the dome thermometer dropped to 260°....So be it.....I wont change the vents at all...we will see just how long it takes for the thermometer to come back up....[p]Wess

Comments

• WessB
    Options
    WessB,
    Already back up to 300° in only some 10 minutes or so...

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    WessB,[p]Nice recovery time - much faster than I'd have expected. I suspect you've positioned your bird well away from the thermometer.
  • WessB
    Options
    Haggis,
    That and the fact that this is the smallest turkey I have ever cooked...just shy of 12#[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    WessB,
    Almost completely recovered

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    I'm not having the same luck. I stabilized mine at ~330 degf for about an hour prior to putting the bird in. After I put in the plate setter, feet, and bird it dropped to about 240 degF and is still struggling to reach 300 after an hour.[p]I'm quickly coming to distrust my Tel-Tru thermometer, however. I have a strong sense that the dome temp is significantly higher than what it is reading.
  • WessB
    Options
    Jeffersonian,
    You should have the platestter and other things in the egg as it was heating up...you just threw a BIG ole load of cold things in there.....you want to have ALL of your ceramics stabalized together..I put my drip pan and liquids along with the platesetter in as soon as I light the fire, but I dont use my liquids for gravy either....be patient, it`ll get there..[p]Wess

• Luke Bizzy
    Options
    Jeffersonian,
    I'm waiting on mine to get back up also. Dome at 400, I put the inverted platesetter in and the temp plunged to about 220. Oh so slow go. Man, I hope it will recover, otherwise it's the oven for sure. Shoulda started earlier!(I say that every year)

• WessB
    Options
    WessB,
    It appears to be staedy...but I will keep watching to see if it rises any higher

• Luke Bizzy
    Options
    WessB,
    I've got a 7# turkey breast, Napa Valley Orange Brined that was still cold when I put it on. Dome was 385 when I hosed it with the bird/placesetter, so it is as was said: it'll come back up in time.

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    I'm not panicking...the turkey seems to be browning nicely and the juices aren't scorching (thanks for the tip about putting the Egg feet under the pan, Max!).[p]I didn't put the plate setter in during the warm-up because I wanted to plop my chunk of apple wood onto the charcoal just before I put the bird in. It's tight enough that it would have been possible had the PS been there. [p]Indeed, my Tel-Tru is reading low: I put my thermocouple in near the dial thermometer probe and got the following results:[p]Tel-Tru - 240 degF
    Thermocouple - 293 degF

• WessB
    Options
    WessB,
    I had to open the dome ( which I believe was the cause of the over shooting ) to re-position my temp probe in the breast...and lo and behold we are now at 340°...dampered down just a TAP.....[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    Jeffersonian,
    You typically dont want the very initial thick smoke on your food, let your wood get down to a thin smoke almost blueish....And in the future, if you use a starter cube as I do.....light the cube and place a chunk or 2 a couple of inches away from the cube, load up the platesetter and whatever else you plan on using, and by the time you are stabalized the fire will have spread out to where the chunks are, placing them at different distances from the fire will get you smoke at different intervals..[p]Wess

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    Thanks, Wess. I use an electric starter. Since I was letting the fire burn for an hour before putting the bird on, I didn't want to throw the smoking wood on at the start, lest it be completely gone by time the bird was in.[p]I'm actually not far from where I need to be, if I can trust my thermocouple.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    WessB,[p]I'm doing a 16# - I'll see how mine behaves.
  • Georgie
    Options
    WessB,
    Stabilized the dome temp w/ the plate setter in @ 325 for about 45 minutes. Added my little 12.5lb turkey and it dropped down to about 215. After 20 minutes I got nervous and opened it up a tap, but after 1 full hour it was back up to 340. Now tapped it down a notch and it is looking good.