Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wertical Turkeyw/platesetter-setup?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to do a 20# turkey vertically in a large egg - with a platesetter. The only way I can see to make it fit is to remove the fire ring. Is this safe to do or will I risk cracking the platesetter?

Comments

• lesterdaddy,[p]I can't even close my lid with a platesetter and v-rack, I can't imagine one standing up. Hope someone answers for you, then we'll both learn something. Good luck.
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Dirk Diggler,
    I have cooked many turkeys, in the 10 to 15 pound range, with the placesetter (legs up), the grid & the turkey on a Spanek tower.[p]I have cooked only Heritage, range raised turkeys for the past 7 years.[p]I shot a wild turkey here in Missouri & tried to cook it in the large BGE. The legs were so long, it wouldn't fit, so I took it to a local smoke house.[p]

• Nessmuk,[p]Great on a Medium or Large. I don't have a vertical roaster, so I've never tried. It just seemed like it wouldn't work on the Medium. Maybe I'll get one of those. My real problem is with the v-rack. The lid will close with it inverted on the grid with a plate setter, I've cooked ribs this way. But the lid will not close on a grid w/ plate setter, v's down. Am I just an idiot or am I missing something?
  • Dirk Diggler,
    Ignore the first sentence, should be - Great. On a medium or a large?

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    lesterdaddy,
    It won't hurt anything to remove the fire ring and put the plate setter directly on the fire box. I'd suggest you put spacers between the vertical roaster and the plate setter though.....

• egret,
    I used aluminum foil shims to elevate the plate setter ( +/- 1" ) and so far( 1 hr. in) so good. The 19# turkey , on a vertical roaster, fits with 1" to spare.