Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine/drying balance

uncbbq
uncbbq Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Advice needed. 12 lb. turkey, brining now for 24 hours. Cook in p.m. tomorrow. Would you take it out tonight to dry out for 18 hours or so, or let it brine all night and let it dry in the refrig. for only 6 or 8 hours?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    uncbbq,[p]I pull mine from the brine, paper towel dry, oil, and cook. No drying time necessary.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    uncbbq,
    By the time I pull my bird from the brine in the morning it will have been in for 96 hours. After rinsing and patting dry I let it air dry & drain in the refrig for at least an hour. Been doing that way for years and it works for me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • uncbbq,
    It's easy to get the bird too salty. Some simple rules I following for brining;[p]1 hour per pound
    dry as long as you brine
    better to do less than too much.[p]I am doing the same size bird, finished 12 hours in brine this afternoon. Letting bird sit in the refrigerator after rinsing. Will cook tomorrow afternoon.[p][p]

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein