Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

When to oil the grill

OkeejohnOkeejohn Posts: 291
edited 3:46PM in EggHead Forum
Read an article in Cook's Illustrared that sdaid it was better to clean a grill while it's hot because it made it easier for the cooked pieces to scrape off but it also said to oil the grill while it's hot. The article went on to say that oil sticks better to a hot grill. What are your thoughts on this??
·

Comments

• okeejohn,
    I agree. I clean and oil after I cook and also right after it comes up to temp on next cook.[p]Mike

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,924
    okeejohn,
    i scrape it when it is coming up to temp on the next cook, and i dont oil the grid unless that particular cook needs it like maybe for fish, but on the whole, oil is overrated for bbq grills. i dont oil the castiron grill either.

·
  • About once every 6 months is my schedule. <g>[p]Spacey

·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    okeejohn,[p]I never oil my grids. I usually run a brush across mine as it is coming up to temp for the next cook. I don't even do that if the previous cook was steaks or something that doesn't leave behind a lot of crud.
    ·
  • ab ovoab ovo Posts: 67
    okeejohn,
    I found the best and tastiest way to oil the grill is to cook some steak or pork on it.

·
  • HammerHammer Posts: 1,001
    okeejohn,
    I use a grill wipe before I cook; do a high temp burn after each cook to clean the grill.
    Hammer

·
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 276
    My dog cleans my grid when the next cook is coming up to temperature. He does a great job. Then the high temps do the rest. No oil unless I put it under soap and water - that happens when the dog takes his turn, but I'm going to keep the temp relatively low. Yuk.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Joyce
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    ab ovo,
    zackly.[p]if something sticks when it's on the grill, all it means is that it's not time to flip it.[p]as for cleaning, i clean the grate when it is heating up on the next cook. i usually pull the food off, shut down, and go inside.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·