Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak question

Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I quit putting mustard on my steaks because I thought it cut down too much on the char I was looking for. Instead after the rub, I bagan putting olive oil on the them. However, now I'm thinking the high temps are burning the oil and imparting a not so flavorful tase on the meat. What do y'all do when prepping your steaks?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Dawgtired,
    i salt only, then sear, then a rub or pepper during the rest before putting it back on for the trex method. sometimes a little balsamic goes on then the rub during the rest. i like the char, but not burnt pepper flavor, so it goes on after the initial sear

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Dawgtired,[p]Try grapeseed oil instead of olive oil. Most grapeseed oils have a higher smoke point than olive oils.[p]TRex
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Dawgtired, Recently (posted a few photos last week) I slow cooked two small, pork butts; one with just a rub, and the other with rub & mustard. My overwhelming pick was with just the rub. Perhaps someone could steer me otherwise, but until then, I'm just a "rub & slow-as-it-goes" guy![p]No turkeys here, Rascal

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Dawgtired,[p]I put some rub on the steaks then sear the steaks. As I am taking steaks off, I put a pat of butter on them and then wrap in foil for a few minutes.....mmmmmm steak.....[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)

• JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Dawgtired,[p]I let them come up to room temp...salt and pepper both sides (or use Dizzy Pig)...cook them direct at 500 degrees for 2-3 minutes per side (2 min for 1 inch thick)...no oil...hot grill![p]JD
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • TRex,
    Since you are the guru of steak (I use your method)...is that what you do?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Dawgtired,[p]Actually, no - I use first cold pressed olive oil and have never had a problem searing at 750+. I bought some grapeseed oil a while back thinking I would start using it because of its higher smoke point but just have never thought to pull it out - I would probably use it with stir-fry, though.[p]Also, note that rancid olive oil will certainly give an off-taste - I used some old olive oil once at someone else's house and man, gross-city! Also, some olive oils have a lower smoke point than others - lots on Google about this.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • TRex,
    Thanks for the info. I know the olive oil is fine because I use it so much to cook with, it never has time to go bad. I use Colavita EVOO but I thought of going to a peanut oil or something for the higher smoke point also.

Ronald Reagan

• ribeyeskingcrab-008.jpg
    <p />Dawgtired,
    these were nothing but beef and fire![p]try it sometime, you might be surprised to know what beef tastes like

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Nothing at all (except maybe some cracked pepper) on mine. A very hot grid seems to prevent most sticking.

Joyce
  • filet1-1.jpg
    <p />Dawgtired,
    I coat mine with EEVO, then rub. Let set at room temp for 1 hour before T-Rexing.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    I've never tried for the crosshatching. Are you moving the steak after a minute of searing?

Ronald Reagan

• dawgtired,
    45 seconds and move 45 degrees. Egg has to be hot, meat sticks when not done. Then do the other side. BTW, I mostly use Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks!!! I'm not sure why I started using olive oil to begin with. It must have been something I saw on the Food Network. I usually season mine with Tony C's cajun seasoning.

Ronald Reagan

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Dawgtired,[p]You probably didn't see it there, not for steaks at least or any high temp cooking. Olive oil has too low of a smoke point so it burns at that high of a temp. If you want to use oil at those temps you need something with a higher smoke tem.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight,
    I agree, nothing but fire on a steak!
    Frank