Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Turkey-ice techinque

Options
fyrcat
fyrcat Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a heritage turkey-18.5 lbs. I decided to brine which I did last nite thru this morning, rinsed it and placed in fridge till tommorow. Cooks illustrated likes the ice idea on the breast- and they recommend placing the turkey upside down on top of the ice in ziplocks as opposed to draping them. They had a hard time keeping the bags on top of the turkey-makes a ton of sense to me. Also they placed a bag inside the turkey as well to help cool the breast from the inside out. I am doing this-has anyone chilled the breast for an hour???? Also they pre warm the stuffing(if you stuff the bird)so the stuffing doesn't take so long, and place in cheesecloth inside bird to enable one to pull it out easy-has anyone tried this and the warming idea?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fyrcat,[p]i find the 20 minutes with the ice bag on top fine, but absolutely go ahead and lay the bird on bags of ice. .. works the same. . ..

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fyrcat,[p]I use 1 hour & I invert it too. I measured the difference in temps (breast & thigh) on the first two I did and it was 7 to 9 degrees. Regarding the 41°-140° 4-hour rule, I didn't consider this a safety issue. [p]I do go 20 minutes on chickens.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bushgator
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I have z question if the bird has been in the fridge all night and you take it out how far in advance to take it out from the fridge just to let it get to room temp and then put the ice on the breast meat I figured in the fridge to the oven its all the same cold temp right? sorry folks nobody has mentioned when is a safe zone time to pull it from the fridge to stuff then into the oven

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    fyrcat,[p]Shoot. Just put the ice in two bags and clip em together at the top. They aren't going anywhere![p]mShark