Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature

hank
hank Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question-my BGE is stuck at 250 degrees. Plenty of charcoal, its wide open, what can I do to get it up to 325--this has been for over 1 hour

Comments

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Hank ,
    Check for ability of air to flow through the lump. You might try to stick a wiggle rod in the lump and create space for air to flow. Temperature = fuel + airflow
    Also what's in the egg, could the temp sensor be close to or touching food? [p]Pdub

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Hank ,
    Did you stir the ash down in the lump? Is the firebox opening lined up with the lower vent? Are you using dry fresh lump? Did you fill the firebox with lump?[p]Wess

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    wiggle_rod_lg.jpg
    <p />Hank ,
    If you have the bottom drat door open and nothing on top, you need to make a wiggle rod to get some airflow. You probably have small chunks of lump and ash blocking the airflow. Take a coat hanger and shape it like the one in the photo. Put the bent end through the draft door and feel for the holes in the fire grate. Push it up through the holes a wiggle it, that should get you going. -RP

• DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Pdub,
    Looked and I had no air flow at all. Seems I had forgotten to clean out all the ash from previous cooks. Man, that thing was totally clogged up. OOPS LOL got my ash tool out, cleaned it out and the temp went right on up

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    AZRP,[p]You might want to recalibrate your temp gauge. If all of the air holes are clean and the bottom vent is wide open you should be at 500 degrees within 10-15 mins.[p]Chris