Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Butt help

BeachbumBeachbum Posts: 61
edited 1:36AM in EggHead Forum
Hubby is at brother's house for TG and I am doing my first butt by myself <shiver>.[p]He got the fire together before he left.. all I need to do is light it, stabilize it and cook on it. I am following Naked Whiz's instructions.[p]If I want to put the butt on at 11 AM this morning.. when do I start the fire to give it enough time to stabilize?[p]Wish me luck!

Comments

• Beachbum,
    Depending on your fire starting skills. I'd start anywhere between 9:30 and 10:00AM.[p]

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Beachbum,
    Light it at 10, an hour should give you plenty of time to get it stable. -RP

• Mike in Abita,[p]
    I have a blowtorch (can't remember the name of it now, but everyone uses them on here).. this should be fun!! LOL[p]Thanks for the help! That is the time I was planning on, but just wanted to be sure![p]Lisa

• Beachbum,[p]With a torch you could wait till 10:00.
  • Beachbum,[p]With your being new at the Egg, I'd give myself 1.5 to 2 hrs to get it stabilized. As for the guys who answered 1 hr you have to remember these guys have been working with the Egg for a considerable amount of time.
  • Thanks.... I just started it, so we'll see what happens! I'll be like an expectant mother again hoping the fire doesn't go out today and my baby is born tomorrow! LOL