Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Wood For Turkey?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey y'all...new to the forum but have had the egg for 5 months..family coming for turkey day and wondering whats best smoke for the bird..been using hickory for chickens but looking for some input.. thanks

Comments

• BillyAustin,
    I don't know if it is the best or not, but I really like apple wood for turkey.

• Jalopy Bob, thanks bob..14 lb bird..how many hours of smoke?[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Billy
    Now you mentioned you use hickory on chicken, so if your family is used to smoked birds, then pecan would be a great choice, or a as Bob mentioned, apple. [p]Personally I would not use any wood, and make sure your fire is burning cleanly. You'll still get plenty of smoke flavor simply by cooking on the egg, and it will already be more smoke than a lot of folks are used to.[p]Happy Tday!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'm in total agreement. My test run last week came out very smokey and I didn't use any wood. Just a very clean burning Ozark Oak fire. [p]Mike

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Nature Boy! Happy Holidays Bro, Cheers, Scott

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    BillyAustin,
    i use about a half handful of pecan pellets and a tiny piece of cherry. some lumps have enough flavor on their own, the wicked good comp blend i have has so little flavor you need to add some. guava is also good instead of the pecan

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggspertMN
    Options
    BillyAustin,
    for me, I like apple or cherry. Cherry will give your turkey a deep red color. and it tastes great, not overpowering at all.[p]Cheers

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    BillyAustin,[p]Hey Billy...[p]I've asked that question before and I've heard cherry, but CHUNKS.[p]Yesterday, i spoke to Cory at BBQ Outfitters and he suggested the standard 'pecan'.[p]BBQ O sells those chuncks of cherry for $25 per bag! It's a big bag though... I haven't decided which way to go though. I'm afriad that since poultry absorbs so well, it may take away from the taste of the turkey. I'll probably just go with Pecan.[p]-Jeeves[p]P.S. I'm going to add you to my Austinite list - I work in the Arboretum and live up near Round Rock.
  • Jeeves,
    i use cherry chips all the time, no problem. if you have chips, use chips. if you have chunks, use chunks. it's not that exact of a science, but most likely, personal preference.[p]chunks will last longer in a hotter fire though, but chips have more surface area that will give off more smoke in the beginning. [p]it's another test subject for the whiz... chips versus chunks.