Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lotsa Gravy for T-Day & Leftovers

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
MAKE STOCK
Buy a bunch-a turkey or chicken wings 'n necks.
Add whatever herbs you'd like [sage, rosemary...]
Splash liberally with OO, then
Roast 'em @ 400F [I use the oven][p]When transferring the roasted chicken/turkey pieces to stockpot, break up the bones to expose marrow. De-glaze the roasting pan WELL with something wet [wine, cider, water]. Get all the taste outta that pan you can![p]Dump it all in the stockpot. I use a lot of turkey, therefore I use a lot of meat/bones[p]Add to the stockpot a bunch or mirepoix [carrots, onions, celery] -- an entire bulb of garlic sliced in half. All of this can be rough cut. You can also empty out your fridge of old veggies -- any root veggies. Add bay leaves, peppercorns, sage, rosemary -- just throw a bunch of stuff in... the idea is to create flavor within the stock. Don't salt at this time![p]Cover with COLD water, at least 1" above the meat/bones/veggies/herbs in the pan.[p]Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Usually I simmer for about 8 hours. When to stop? When the collagen in the bones comes out, and the bones go all rubbery or disintegrate... and a thick, gooey glop appears in the stock. You want all the collagen to break down and make this a thick goo![p]Remove "crud" from the top of the water as it simmers, and replace the evaporated water with fresh over the hours -- this is not a reduction.[p]When "done," strain the liquidy stock from the meat/bones, veggies, etc. Get all the liquid you can out of the veggies and meat, etc.... and discard this stuff. The remaining stock is Gold![p]Freeze stock you may not use right away. Do this immediately![p]NOW -- TO MAKING THE GRAVY[p]In a saucier, melt two sticks of butter. Whisk in an equal amount of flour so that there aren't lumps. You'll get a thick paste. Cook this paste until the "flour taste" cooks out, and you start to see a gentle browning.[p]Don't over cook this paste [called a "roux"]. The more you cook it, the less it will "interact" with the stock.[p]Into your hot [not boiling] stock, drop in a dollop of roux and whisk in. It will just "melt" into the stock, turning the stock to gravy. Add another dollop, etc.[p]Bring the gravy gently to a boil, and observe the gravy thicken. It will be at its thickest when it boils.[p]Now is a great time to add roasted turkey juices [from your approaching meal] to the gravy. Season carefully.[p]If you want the gravy thicker, add more roux. If you want it thinner, add more stock.[p]Once you bring your final gravy to where you want it [a strong simmer to get it thick], keep it hot. If you let it cool, it will turn to sludge.[p]If you bring it to a rolling boil, it will begin to break apart.[p]Just think! You can make three gallons of stock and freeze it, and have excrutiatingly great gravy for months![p]Enjoy![p]========[p]BTW -- I have just bought 20 lbs of pork necks to make pork stock -- ultimately gravy -- for a dinner feast of 150 guests [Dec 7th]. Pork loin roulade on the Egg. Six complete pork loins on one medium egg -- Oh, yeah! I'll be tip-toing thru the tulips over that one![p]Oh, but for an XL![p]~ B[p]

Comments