Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YB (larry's crown roast recepie)

Options
Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Larry,
I have the recipe from the green egg cook book.[p]The recipe says to cook with a raised grid and drip pan. Do I
1> use the plate setter (indirect) to raise grill and have the drip pan
or
2> do I use just a raised grate with the drip pan below cooking direct.[p]Sorry for the basic questions. I have had the egg about a month and have been cooking up a storm. I am doing the crown roast for thanksgiving.[p]Thanks steve

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    steve,[p]Hey steve. Anytime that you are blocking the direct radiative heat from the coals you are cooking "indirect." A drip pan accomplishes this, as well as a platesetter, or more commonly, the combination of the two: drip pan sitting on platesetter. The latter combination is what I most commonly use for indirect cooks, but Larry may have you using the raised grid with drip pan to get the crown roast higher up in the dome for better crisping. I think you'll be fine either way.[p]Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving![p]TRex
  • Steve
    Options
    TRex,
    Thanks- I have used your steak recepie and it has been great for both thick steaks and chops. We have gone crazy with the egg. I am on my third bag of lump since the eggfest in atlanta.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    steve,
    Like Jason said either way will work...At Eggtoberfest I used a platesetter with the feet up and put a 9"pie pan with a small grid on top of the BGE grid.
    Larry
    8515.jpg

• Steve
    Options
    YB,
    That looks great - wish me luck
    steve

• Steve
    Options
    YB,
    Once I cook it the initial 2 hours @ 350 for two hours. then i add the stuffing. do you have an estimate of how long it takes to get the meat to 150 degrees after it is returned to the egg. I am trying estimate time to i need to put it on and still be close to dinner time.
    thanks again.
    steve haag

• steve,[p]Here is what I did after listening to YB for a few years. Happy Thanksgiving.[p]Pork, Roast, Crown, Richard

It is all YB's fault for teasing us with Eggtoberfest '04 & '05 and then giving us a taste at Eggtoberfest '06. Thank you again! Richard

[p]1 15 Lbs. Pork, Roast, Crown, 24 Bones
    *****Stuffing*****
    3 Pkgs Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mixture
    2 Cans Water Chestnuts, Chopped, Coarsley
    6-8 Scallions, Chopped and Sauteed
    Dash Salt/Pepper & Cavender's Seasoning

1 Rack ready to roast!
    2 Roast was slathered with cheap yellow mustard, Spice Island Lemon Garlic and Indian River Pepper Blend. Rested for about an hour.
    3 Large BGE was set up indirect, drip pan w/water 3/4 way up. At 250°F placed the roast on the grid without the stuffing in the middle.
    4 Had 3-4 pieces of apple and a handful of pecan chips for smoke. Brought the BGE to 325°F-350°F, Placed aluminum foil around tips of bones.
    5 About 2 hours into the cook, stuffed the cooked rice mixture into the cavity, took about 3/4's of the batch. Saved the rest for later. Closed the BGE and went another 45 minutes until the internal temperature was 147°F.
    6 Pulled, let rest normally 30-45 minutes, but this time, my first roast project, had so much going on that the roast was ready 3 hours before the guests were hungry.
    7 SO, covered with aluminum foil and let sit on table in kitchen for the duration, never reheated in oven, just served with hot mushroom gravy. Worked out fine.
    8 Placed little gold paper frills on the bones. Sliced 1 bone/chop per person was plenty.
    9 None of this would have been possible without the kind help from Mr Crown Roast, Larry Ward, AKA "YB". Thanks Larry!!!
    SIDES SERVED:
    1 Apple Sauce, Pork Gravy, Asparagus Grilled, Portobello Mushrooms & Sweet Onion, cut in fork size pieces, placed in aluminum foil with little butter chicken boullion, s/p and teaspoon water wrapped tightly and placed on egg 30-45 minutes while roast is cooking. Dessert of choice, ours was three layer white cake with coconut frosting.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 12/25/06[p]01/02/07--RPH-Fed 12 adults Christmas day and 6 more 3 days later. Gave some away. In the future will figure 1 1/3-1 1/4 bones per person, depending on crowd and are they big eaters.

[p]