Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best wood for egg table?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am FINALLY getting around to building a table for my large BGE, and it is time to purchase the wood. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which type of wood is best suited for this use? I am trying to stay away from pressure treated lumbar because I don't enjoy the thought of ingesting arsenic, and while the red oak that the Naked Whiz used looks really good it is rather pricey :-)[p]EggTopia

Comments

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    EggTopia,[p]Even pricier would be teak, that was my #1 choice, but alas the budget and timeline didn't allow. Mesquite would also be a good choice, but again, expensive.[p]It seems to me you could get by for quite a while with redwood lumber and possibly some MDF for the top. This wouldn't cost much at all. Just be sure to seal it really good. Many, many people have decks and patios made from redwood lumber, and those decks last for years, as long as they are sealed.[p]--sdb
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    EggTopia,
    I made mine out of cedar and I'm very pleased with the results. If you will check your e-mail you will find some photos of it. Good luck with yours.

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    EggTopia,
    I used pressure treated. My rationale was that the
    table would be outside (therefore dirty) and I wouldn't
    be putting any food or implements directly onto the table
    no matter what it was made from.
    Chuck

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    EggTopia,[p]Why not use pine, then? If you use a good outdoor finish, you should be ok. I keep mine covered also.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz