Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Turkey Breast Cutlet suggestions please!

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
G'Mornin.
We usually buy a whole turkey, cut it up and make a massive pot of broth that we freeze in serving size batches. I usually slice off a couple big slabs of the breast meat, before I start the soup....and cook these...sometimes grilling, sometimes cutting up for kabobs, sometimes stir frying.[p]So, I have a few big turkey breast cutlets, and was thinking of pounding them thin and stuffing with something. First I would love suggestions on the stuffing....not sausage or other meats, but maybe spinach/mushrooms/cheese kinda thing??? Any recipes?[p]Also, I have never really pounded poultry cutlets, but I figure it will be necessary to pound before stuffing. How thick of a piece should I start with? How much do I pound it and with what?[p]Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Are the breasts thick enough now that you can just cut a 'pocket' in the side and stuff that way, or are you looking for something you can pound thin and then roll? Either way, if you want to avoid meat, I think you're on the right path.
    Have you seen those trays of different mushrooms they sell; a bit of oyster, portobello, cremini, cafe and maybe shitake? A nice variety pack like that, sauteed with onion and garlic (maybe a bit of that spinach too), then into a food processor to blend with some white wine, parmesan or assagio cheese and maybe a bit of olive oil if necessary. A little oregeno, parsley or whatever suits your tastes for spicing. Take that paste and spread on your flattened/pounded breast and roll up and secure with string. Brush lightly with olive oil, go direct at about 300-325 maybe til browned, then indirect til internal part of the roll is 165. Let set for a minute or two, cut away the string, then slice in spiral cuts. Nice presentation and probably makes for a nice snack too!
    As for pounding I use a kitchen mallet, but the blunt side, not the studded side as it tears up the surface of poultry pretty good! Either put the breast on a cutting board and then lay a piece of Saran Wrap over top so juices don't spatter, or you can even put whole breast in a plastic bag before pounding to really contain juices. Also a dish towel under the cutting board reduces the noise and 'shock' to the turkey too.
    Qfan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Well, the cutlets are mixed thicknesses, as I kind of just "hacked" a few pieces off. A couple are definitely fat enough to cut a pocket in. I have not tried pounding yet, but your roll-up idea sounds very good. And we really dig mushrooms in this house. [p]Thanks very much for the info!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    We cook this recipe all the time....Pound the turkey with the back of a meat cleaver or use the edge of a saucer until you can fold it over and it will stay there...Put in the stuffing and cook in a pan in the egg on 350.
    Larry

[ul][li]Shrimp Stuffed Chicken Breast [/ul]
  • Nature Boy,
    The problem I see with pocketing the breast is the issue of the grain in the meat. If you pocket it, stuff it, cook it and then slice it, you will be slicing with the grain.
    Think about how you carve a turkey breast if it wasn't stuffed. Then look at how you'd slice it if it were. You will be going with the grain this time.[p]jazzy

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'd try a combination of cutting it and then pounding it to an even thickness. Lay the breast half with the pointy end toward you. Cut the thick part of the meat from the right edge to about 1/2 inch from the left edge and open it up like a book. Now it's kind of heart-shaped. If you then lay it between two sheets of wax paper or saran wrap, pound it a little bit just until it's an even thickness suitable for your recipe. Then, spread the filling on, leaving a free edge, wrap jelly-roll style, and secure the roll either with string or with one of those extremely cool string net "stocking" thingies the butchers use for tenderloins and sausages. I'm going to ask the butcher if I can beg or buy some of it for myself.[p]The stuffing suggestion with the mushrooms and wine looks very good. I might try a conventional bread cube, onion, sage stuffing with some celery and apple. I'll probably not use cheese, just because there's something kind of nasty about slicing into meat and having melted cheese ooze out. But that's just me.[p]Good luck and let us know what you did and how you did it. Man, I'm hungry NOW.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl