Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

bbullett
bbullett Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first time posting, but I've been "looking" for quite a while. You folks are a wealth of information and have greatly enriched my eggsperience.[p]I'm almost hesitant to share this after reading through the bloodbath on the "JJ Rub", so I'll temper my post. I don't follow many recipes to the letter, and if the following sounds too much like "your" recipe I apologize in advance. I usually make my recipe as I go, and here's the latest on a stuffed tenderloin I made for New Years.[p]I butterflied 2 pork tenderloins, covered one side of each with chopped up smoke sausage (no casings), fresh chopped italian parsley, roasted garlic, olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and a layer of asiago cheese. I then closed them up as well as I could and tied them in 5 or 6 places so they wouldn't try to give up all that good stuffing. I cooked them at about 300 with a plate setter deflecting the heat. (Can't recall how long, with it being New Year's Eve and all). Also threw in some cherry wood chips several times.[p]I roasted 4 whole heads of garlic for about 1.5 hours before stuffing. This roasted garlic became very mild, and I believe was the best ingredient in the meat. That seems like an awful lot of garlic, but the roasting toned it down considerably.[p]I used about a half pound of sausage total for both tenderloins. Everything else was to taste, or rather to eyeball. You know, a couple of shakes here, several grinds there. [p]I hope this entices someone to come up with an "actual" recipe, but this "psuedo" recipe was a giant hit at my house just a couple of weeks ago. I look forward to many more posts here !![p]

Comments

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    bbullett,
    When you say you "butterfly" your pork loin do you actually cut it or does your loin split apart on its own. I noticed in the Toad recipe he says to gets the butcher to cut it. Every loin I have gotten seems to be split in half already.
    Your meal sounds excellent by the way. I am just getting into the "stuffing" concept myself and have been pleased with the results (peach preserves and crushed pecans last night) and am looking forward to much experimentation. The pork loin and the egg seem made for each other.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    bbullett, sounds interesting. I think I would like to try it. I have done many recipes that way and then found that it was so good I wanted to replicate it. Getting the same mixture again took a few trials and errors. I now try to write down what I do and then correct over time. Please do that next time and help us out. I hate to eat my failures. I much prefer to try other people's successes.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    ravnhaus, most loins that I have purchased are two pieces tied together. I cut straight down and then out on each side to get a cut that sort of looks like an upside down "T". Then when I spread it out it gives more room to stuff. Then when you put the two halves back together and tie them together, you have a great stuffed loin.

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    ravnhaus,
    Sounds like ravnhaus used tenderlions for his dish, not lions. Mr. Toad used lion for his.
    B D

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Big Daddy:[p]What do you think Mr. Toad paid for that lion? You think he saved the hide? (smilie thingie)

• bbullett,
    just to be clear; were you cooking loin or tenderloin?

• Fr,
    It was tenderloin. Most of the tenderloins I get are packaged 2 in a pack.

• ravnhaus,
    The butterfly is done by splitting the tenderloin lengthwise, then flopping it open, giving you a bit of a flat surface on which to pile the goodies. The butcher will do it for you, or if you are a purist you can slice it yourself. Tomato, to-mah-to you know.[p]bbullet