Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gumbo

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,660
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
100_1678.jpg
<p />it needs a little more simmer time, but its for wednesday night when the family starts to gather for the holiday up at camp in sebago. might get some shrimp lobster and scollops to fry up as well. first pic is the roux, next is as a stew, it wil thicken up alot on the reheat to pour over some rice come wednesday[p]100_1679.jpg[p]smoked turkey chourico and okra, i need to find some andoule to add as well

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    fishlessman, all that is missing is a little crusty bread for slopping ......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fishlessman,
    that's a nice dark roux, man. how easy was that?[p]by the way, for anyone wondering. he didn't mis-spell "scollops". 'scollops' is how we say it up here.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    fishlessman,
    Beautiful dark roux, was that an oven roux?

• fishlessman
    Big'un,
    2 cups peanut oil, 2 cups flour over an open burner, then onto a simmer plate when the celery, onions and green pepper went in. followed chef wils tutorial from a couple years back. copper tin lined pot works good for this. get the color of peanut butter, then add the veggies til soft and carmelly, then sausage for about 20 min and it gets real dark

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    stike,
    how would emerile say it with that newyorkah/ cajin accent hes picked up over the years

fukahwee maine

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    fishlessman,
    Looks great, and after that much work it should! I started doing oven rouxs a while back. It really cuts down on the stirring time and it's easy to jar it up for future use. Have you tried an oven roux?

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    tjv,[p]Noooooooo. Bread to sop Cajun Gumbo is not required. The rice does the trick. Bread will go on the side, heavy with melted butter and garlic.....[p]Protrude On
    Cajun

• fishlessman
    Big'un,
    ive never tried a roux in the oven, all that oil in there seems scary to me. i do soups chilis and stews in the oven though, much easier than stove top. after making a few rouxs they get pretty easy, kitchens small enough that i can reach the beer fridge a couple times during the cook and ive got the stove positioned so that i can reach into to the kitchen to stir from the living room and watch the game.

fukahwee maine

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Cajun, sorry man just can't help myself, I'm a dunker in addition to the rice. Something like, Irish roots meets cajun cooking...LOL. The bread is exactly as you described, dang I need a bowl. [p]The inlaws are from southeast texas, via southwest LA, so gumbo is a branch on their family tree. My mother-in-law is visiting for T-Day. Any luck she will make a pot. The big question is which pot, chicken/sausage or shrimp... No doubt gumbo is always better the next day....T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fishlessman,
    that roux is an effing masterpiece. seriously.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    tjv,
    take some pics as she makes it, ive got nothing to base what gumbo is supposed to look like except for chef wils gumbo recipe/technique. never seen gumbo or tasted it other than the stuff ive butchered, newengland is not the gumbo capital of the world.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,
    My gumbos are not traditional by any means. I use any and all ingredients available. Just stick to the basics and then go crazy. [p]1. Make a good Brick or darker Roux
    2. Use the holy trinity ( onions, celery,and bell pepper)
    3. Cook with plenty of love.[p]The rest is up to you. I actually cook three pounds of frozen okra (cook it till it's no longer stringy) and put it into my gumbos. Check out link for a recipe. [p]Mike

[ul][li]Gumbo[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    Mike in Abita,
    ive done the turkey gumbo a few times, even made pie with it once it really starts to thicken. someday need to try some seafood gumbo. this is the technique i used, what i like about it is that you can make gumbo alot of ways and with the ingreidiants you have on hand, maybe keeping some ingrediants traditional, or just taking off in new directions.

[ul][li]chef wil's gumbo[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,
    Sounds like a good solid recipe. If you are having difficulties with the roux check out link. If you think you burnt the roux throw it out and start over. Nothing tastes as bad as a burnt roux.
    Mike

[ul][li]http://www.flickr.com/photos/elevatedprimate/69035433/[/ul]
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    tjv,[p]i understand. My wife is from South Texas (Aggie fer sure) and she doesn't want the rice, just a good load of french bread and she is on her way.[p]I just made a pot of gumbo last week (first cold spell) and it turned out great.[p]I usually will put everything in including parts of the kitchen sink. Turns out good.[p]Cajun