Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time user

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do I need to cure my BGE before first use? Just got my large BGE and want to make my turkey in it. This forum is great and there's a lot of great tips and hints not to mention the recipes.

Comments

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Liz ,[p]Good question. Many have an opinion here, however, I did not do anything but cook. My first cook was also a turkey and I have not looked back since.[p]You will love the difference in your food quality you serve on your table. I did not believe the "hype" but now I have to add to it.[p]Protrude On
    Cajun

• Cajun,
    Thanks for your quick response. Do you use a plate setter to place you turkey pan on? I am getting mixed messages on this one too.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Liz ,
    First thing I would recommend you do is to watch the DVD that came with your egg, it will answer a lot of questions....No you don`t have to "season" your egg...here lately many have been saying do low temp cooks first due to gasket issues...I`m with Cajun on this one...just cook, thats all I have done with all 5 of my eggs....Most here use Mad Max`s turkey recipe which is linked in many posts...You can see how I have done a turkey in the past in the "cooks" section of my website....Welcome to some wonderful food and friends..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Liz ,
    Welcome!!! No seasoning needed. If you want to lightly spray some pam on your grid for easier clean up, that's ok.
    Watch the DVD. I would practice with a spatchcocked chicken to kind of get the hang of temp control. Turkey on Thanksgiving will be a good cook, but I wouldn't risk that meal as my "familiarization cook",IMO. If you have ANY question just ask. The best accessory you can get for the BGE, is this forum. Start taking pictures of your cooks. Glad to have you here cooking with us!
    Big'un

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Liz ,[p]Nope, no curing needed. Just throw in some lump, light the fire and cook away. Turkey is a good one to start with. There are many good recipes on the board and the Mad Max Turkey tips are available.[p]Have a great time cooking.[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Liz,[p]Yes, place setter feet up. Then the drip pan with apple juice, etc.then a grill rack then the turkey. Look closely at Wess' site as it has all the info you will need on cooking a turkey.[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Liz,[p]I use the pate setter when I did my turkey.[p]Check out the link for the turkey method I followed.
    [ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • Mike in Abita,
    I was just on that site, amazing! I can't wait to cook my turkey. I use a similar way of preparing my turkey, but I use pork fat, bay leaves, lots of garlic, rock salt and pepper instead of the butter and herbs Wes uses. I also insert this paste in the cavity of the bird and underneath the skin. I am definitely using the ice on the breast before cooking...great idea. One can learn a lot from this guy.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Liz,
    Three different guys, WessB, Max, and Doug aka the Naked Whiz........strangely enought two of them have poney tails....coincidence? When I got my first large I had long hair too........ I may be onto something here......

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Liz ,
    you need to cook a chicken tonight, get used to the settings and learn what clean smoke is verse dirty before putting a tday meal in there. mad maxs recipe works great, but you need to learn some basics on temp control and clean burning lump if you have never cooked in an egg before.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dhuffjr,[p]Got it, thanks. I guess I got a little carried away and got names confused. I never expected so many responses so quickly. I guess that's what happens when people are so passionate about something.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Liz ,
    welcome aboard. .. here is a link to all the detailed mad max tips for the week. ...keep your eyes open ...on wednesday i'll be posting the mad max turkey hotline number.. .[p]couple of quick things. . .. go buy and cook a big chicken. .. figure out how to move your vents to control temps. ... [p]a good rule of thumb for roasting temps (in the 325 - 350 dome thermometer ranges) is to get your fire established with the vents wide open... as the temps creep up through 300 degrees, shut the top vent, just leaving the small holes on the daisy wheel open, and keep the bottom vent fully open. . . .should keep you close to 350. .. if the temp starts climbing, then start shutting the bottom vents down by about half, then half again if you need to, till the temps stabilize. ... don;'t panic when you have your egg cranking along at 325, you open it and put the turkey (or large chicken) in, and the temps don't come right back up to 325 - 350. ..common mistake is to open the vents back up and then the temps will climb too quickly and they will be hard to re-stabilize. ...be patient and let the temps come back on their own with the vents in the same place as when you first opened the lid to put your food in. .. .

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxcentral/madmaxcentral.htm[/ul]
  • Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    Liz ,
    I don't have any advice that the others haven't already passed on. I just wanted to say welcome and congrats from another new egger![p]...ron (Smokin In The Suburbs!)

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Yes, thanks for the site. Someone else had recommended it and it was great and very informative...I've bookmarked it.
    Thanks for all your input. I'll have to experiment before turkey day!

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Liz,
    I don't have a pony-tail. I do like your idea of the pork fat. [p]Mike

• Mike in Abita,[p]It is very tasty, needless to say you use a dressing not a stuffing when the turkey is cooked this way. I chop the pork fat and pulse in my cuisinart with the rest of the ingredients to achieve the paste. This paste is what my grandfather used in the old country to season and baste sucking pigs that he sold in his tavern...before the days of the cuisinart he did all the chopping by hand and mashing with the back of the knife to achieve the paste consistency. Thinking about takes me back to my childhood.