Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger recipes

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife and I this week are planning on cooking a bunch of hamburgers on the egg this week. We've already done pork butts, briskets, butterflied chickens, turkeys, tenderloins, but no hot dogs, or burgers yet. Weird, huh?[p]We used to cook our burgers on this gas grill that we never use anymore. So we always added other things to the meat, like onion and Worcestershire, because of the way that gas always sapped the flavor.[p]If you don't mind, can all of you share your favorite hamburger recipes. I think it would make interesting reading. Thanks!

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Mirafan,[p]A family favorite at our house is Blackened Blue Burgers. Make the patties out of plain ground beef or chuck. Then I take a good blackening seasoning and sprinlke it liberally on each side of the burger. Cook them like you normally cook burgers. The last 4 or so minutes of the cook put on some swiss or american cheese (whatever you like) and get it partially melted. Then, for the last 2 or so minutes of the cook add some good blue cheese to the burgers and melt it on also. Stilton Blue or a good quality blue cheese works well. Serve them on buns with red onion and whatever fixins you like.[p]Troy
  • Mirafan,
    Obies sweet rub on a regular old hot dog, tossed on the Egg @ 250-300 for about 20 minutes or so, will transform into a treat! Favorite of the kids.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Mirafan,[p]I'm partial to the Worcestershire sauce on my burgers as well. That with salt and pepper, and about half the time some brown sugar is my favorite way to make a burger.[p]I've found the Egg appreciates hamburger meat that has some fat in it. As an experiment, the last burgers I made didn't have the Worcestershire and were made from ground sirloin. They were too dry. So I'd recommend a grind that has more fat than ground sirloin...like 85% lean, and definitely has the Worcestershire.[p]As for the cook, I like 'em done just like steak. A nice hot sear on both sides and then a dwell. 3/3/3 is usually a good medium burger, depending on the thickness.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    Mirafan,[p]Here's one that my family likes. We got it out of the Penzys catalog a while back.[p]1)Mix hamburger with cajun seasoning to taste.
    2)Shred cheddar cheese, chop mushrooms and onion
    3)Fry some bacon and cut into small pieces.
    4)mix bacon, cheese, onion and mushrooms together
    5)make patties half normal thickness, 2 will be used with each burger
    6)place stuffing mixture on 1 patty, cover with 2nd patty
    and seal edges.
    7)Cook per usual methods.[p]
    --Kevin

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    PC290003.JPG
    <p />Mirafan,
    This is the prep for the burgers I did at this years NY JETS tailgates.
    For 5 lbs of 80% lean chopped beef:
    3 eggs
    one med onion
    5-6 cloves finely chopped garlic
    batch of fresh parsley
    package of fresh oregano
    kosher salt
    black pepper
    5 minutes each side at 700 degrees for a very juicy burger. BE CAREFUL on the first bite....juice may squirt too far! Makes 10 burgers.
    Be sure to mold the burgers gently. Molding them to hard may not allow the center to cook.
    Enjoy!
    ST

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    PC300011.JPG
    <p />Here they are in action....
  • Smokin' Todd, tanks for da billboard sized pix! 8^)

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]That recipe does sound good and that is an interesting looking counter top for doing food prep on ;-}![p]Certainly a lot better than some of the stuff we used back in my bowling alley mechanic days.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    Too much green! Too much green!

• I haven't grilled a burger since the first time I smoked 'em. The rub I use is Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub from Smoke & Spice. You'll have to look that one up (or just use your favorite rub) as I don't have permission to post it. The bacon-onion butter is from The Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades by Steve Raichlen and is posted with permission (and is a fabulous book that you should all own). The thing that makes them different and great is smoking them instead of grilling them.[p] Smoked Hamburgers[p] Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

********** Bacon Onion Butter **********
    1 stick salted butter -- at room temperature
    4 strips lean bacon -- cut into 1/4" sliver
    1 medium onion -- finely chopped
    2 teaspoons brown, Dijon, or Dusseldorf mustard
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
    ************* Hamburgers ***************
    2 pounds ground beef[p]Mix your dry rub ingredients together.[p]Make the Bacon Onion Butter as follows:[p]1. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until the fat begins to render. Add the onion and saute until the bacon crisps and the onions are golden brown. Do not let the bacon burn. Transfer the bacon mixture to a mixing bowl and cool to room temp.[p]2. Add the remaining butter, the mustard and pepper and beat the mixture with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Correct the seasoning, adding more pepper or mustard if needed.[p]3. Arrange a 12 inch square piece of plastic wrap on your work surface and mound the butter in the center. Roll it up into a cylinder 1 1/4 inches in diameter, twisting the ends of the wrap to compact the butter. Store the butter in the refrigerator fro up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.[p]To make the burgers:[p]1. Cut 1 to 2 tablespoons of the bacon onion butter off the roll. Imbed it in the center of about 1/3 of a pound of hamburger (or more or less
    depending on how big you like them). The butter should spread itself through the center of the burger when you form it into a patty. Seal the burger around the edges so the butter is encased inside.[p]2. Sprinkle the burger patties with the rub. Reserve some of the rub if you want to for extra seasoning later. Cover them with plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.[p]3. Remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temp for 15 minutes. Smoke them at 200 to 220 for about 1 hour.