Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Four days to go and I started the brining today

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I concocted the brine, brought it to a boil and then cooled it and refrigerated overnight. WOWSER does that brine have a pleasant aroma and subtle taste!!! This is at least the 5th time I've used this recipe. The 4 days seems to be the best. BTW if you read the ingredients I cut way back on the garlic to just 4 large cloves - I think three whole heads would be much too overpowering!
[ul][li]John Ash's delicious brine[/ul]
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    RRP,[p]You're not alone! I boiled my brine this morning and it is cooling now. The bird goes in it this evening.[p]Not using the same (yet similar) recipe - but longer is usually better with lower salt brines.
  • smokinsop
    Options
    RRP,
    Never tried a brine before. Will try this one tomorrow. You haven't steered me wrong yet
    Don

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Fidel,
    O.K. now I have a question. I am purchasing a fresh bird and picking it up tomorrow from by local butcher. I have never cooked with a fresh one. Do I need to brine? Since that is all I know, will it be to dry and flavorless without all the cr8p that is injected thru the processing that is done with store bought products?
    Molly

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    smokinsop,
    LOL - may I suggest you go ahead and make it today then? It needs to be boiled to unlock the ginger, thyme and garlic besides making it santitary. Then cool and refrigerate overnight.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    cookn biker,
    cooked a fresh one last year and brined with one of RRP's other recipes. Came out great. I don't think you have to brine but it will add some extra flavor.

• Fidel
    Options
    cookn biker,[p]We always get fresh birds and since the first time I brined one, I have never done one without.[p]You won't miss it if you've never done it, but it adds a new dimension to the flavor, and more importantly the drippings are more plentiful and flavorful for some great gravy.[p]I also stuff the cavity of my bird with apple and onion slices, fresh rosemary twigs and sage leaves.[p]I brine with Alton Brown's recipe with a few mods:[p]1 gallon vegetable stock
    1 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp candied ginger
    1 tbsp allspice berries
    1 tbsp peppercorns
    3 rosemary twigs
    8-10 sage leaves[p]Bring all to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool. Add this mix to the bird and add ice cold water to cover.[p]

• cookn biker
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,
    What brine recipe did you use and did you like it or would you change it?
    Molly

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Fidel,
    How many days?
    Molly

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Fidel
    Options
    cookn biker,[p]Mine will go in tonight - my wife is out picking up the bird now as I watch my Chiefs try to avoid getting embarrassed in Indy.[p]I brine mine inside one of the huge ziploc bags, then put it in a cooler and surround it with ice bags. That keeps it nice and cool until Thursday morning.
  • Fidel,
    i don't pick up my fresh turkey till wednesday morning. is it worth brining for just a day? if so, what's the procedure (if any) for removing some of the salt after brining?[p]thanks[p]ken[p]

• Fidel
    Options
    Ken Baker,[p]An overnight brine is fine. Make your brine solution Tuesday and let it sit in the fridge the night before. Most of the higher salinity brines only call for an overnight soak.[p]I typically rinse my bird once and dry thoroughly before cooking. Some recipes call for rinsing 3 times, but I feel that is overkill.[p]Again, I am far from the expert in turkey preparation, but the tips I offer up have been tried and true for me for the past 7-8 Thanksgivings.
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    cookn biker,
    I got it from RRP, have to dig it up and I'll post it tomorrow unless he beats me to it. I liked it.