Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love it ! ! ! and Question!

Options
MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just want to say that I have had the egg a barely two months and LOVE IT ! ! ! So much good food and good fun... So, I like the smokey smell in all my clothes...its destinctive!!![p]QUESTION: Want to be able to do pizza on the egg. I have the large BGE, but where do I get the stone or firebricks?[p]Got to go eat some leftover smoked salmon![p]MW

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MW, my pizza stone came from a regular old kitchen store and the fire bricks came from a brick yard at the cost of $6 for 5 bricks - for a large BGE, you will want 5 bricks. For Pizza, I like the "Z" formation with the stone on top.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    MW,
    Three fire bricks and a 14" pizza stone for a large BGE. Cook at 500-550F for 10 minutes and check it. Leave it on for a couple more if it's not quite done. The purpose of the firebricks is to raise the level of the pizza stone to the top edge of the bottom of the Egg. This will save you untold embarassment by avoiding dumping the pizza into the Egg when you take it out.[p]Be sure to let the Egg come to temp and stabilize it. You will want to let the pizza stone come to temp also.
    JimW

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    MW,[p]Your large is capable of creating an excellent pizza. If you can obtain a BGE "plate setter" and a pizza stone, you have the most versatile combination yet created for the large EGG.[p]The plate setter replaces the spacers (firebricks) necessary to space the stone up so you can insert and remove the pie (pie sets at dome opening level instead of down in the EGG). It also provides excellent airflow to reach cooking temps and an initial "mass" under the pizza stone to help insulate the pizza stone from the extreme temps the fire produces when cooking at 550F degrees.[p]Be careful with your pizza stone section. Many "pizza stones" on the market cannot withstand the temps of a normal oven, let alone the EGG. Exceeding the rated temp will often result in a broken stone. Manufacturers are required to provide this information but they often hide it in small print inside the package.[p]To make pizza on your EGG, you need three things. The ability to achieve and then quickly recover 600F (after a dome opening), the ability to insert and remove the pie easily (it needs to be cooked at a level at or sightly above the lip opening of the EGG), and create an environment that cooks the toppings equally as fast as the crust.[p]The toppings are much more forgiving in cooking than the crust. Cook to create the crust and trust that the toppings will be done. The proper setup (hardware) in your EGG will allow this. Email me if I can be of further help.[p]Spin
  • Spin, Thank you for the GREAT advice - this message board is wonderful....
    I will sally forth and pick up the requisite articles... then its Pizza time[p]Thank you Spin[p]