Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin results...

Options
sdbelt
sdbelt Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my second pork tenderloin (ever) last night, but this time using Mr. Toad's method. As a stuffing I used blackberries, fig, and banana. I meant to put cashews in it, but somehow left the store without them.[p]I then cooked the tenderloin direct until the internal temp was 82. Flipped and cooked direct until the internal temp was 92. Then, since the fire was constantly flaring up from all of the juice releasing, I added the plate setter and switched to indirect with a drip pan. Finished the cook with an internal temp of 143. The fire was a tad hot at nearly 350 throughout most of the cook.[p]The result, however, was really, really good. I love the flavor the blackberries added. I'm not sure I'd put bananas in one again, or maybe even the figs, but the blackberries were great. I did miss the cashews, though. I think they would have added a great texture to the whole thing and complimented the blackberries. Next time I'll also be sure to try apple in it, as I think a tart element like an apple would be interesting.[p]Here's a couple of snaps of the cook. Please bare with me, if I don't get these to work, as I've not attempted an embedded pic in a post:[p] image-display?photo_id=519107&size=lg[p] image-display?photo_id=519110&size=lg[p]The darker exterior comes from the direct treatment, something I plan to repeat, with a bit longer on the second side, as it didn't carmelize as well. The first side is what is now on top.[p]If the above doesn't work, here's a link to where the pics can be found:[p]http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=176129[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    sdbelt, nice pics - am I in time for dinner? :~{

• sdbelt
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Thanks. We ate a very small percentage of it last night, so there are a lot of leftovers (4 lb tenderloin + 1lb bacon + 3 lb fruit = a lot of food). If you can get to Scottsdale anytime in the next 3 days, I'll gladly save a place for you at the table.[p]Again, thanks.[p]--sdb

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Lets%20cook%20009.jpg
    <p />sdbelt, looks great. I got a couple of things here... How do you post multiple pics? I have tried and it don't work. I'm doing something wrong.[p]The second thing,, just as an option, which I have found to work great,, get a good fish filet knife(one with the sharpening rods in the scabbard) and carefully filet the porkloin out into a big square or rectangle of flat pork about a half inch thick. Then lay your favorite stuff(like shrimp, drained frozen spinach, onions, garlic, etc.,etc) and roll it back up like a jelly-roll. I see you are an expert at tying it up,, but go to any local meat processor and get him to sell you a roll of elastic mesh netting. This stuff is the greatest for de-boned turkey breasts or fileted turkey breasts. The pic shows my turkey breasts I fixed the other day with ribs. If I could put multiple pics on here I would show you the net in it's roll.. Okay, I will post it off of this one.
  • Lets%20cook%20017.jpg
    <p />Here is the elastic net meat processors use. Great stuff with a zillion uses.

• Lets%20cook%20018.jpg
    <p />Here is the net used to hold brined turkeys while smoking them in the ceramic.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    StMartin01.jpg
    <p />sdbelt, sorry, wrong direction. While it's still a few weeks away, I have my sites set on St. Martins and Orient Bay Beach - a week with no BBQ, but I think I'll make make it! Would you believe about 4 miles from where we stay, there are about 40 resturaunts? just pick you flavor. Sun in the dey and a little wine and food in the evening! [p]Pic is from our last visit.

• sdbelt
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]I used the html "img" tag twice to embed the pictures in the text. I'd show you exactly, except then it would put a picture in the text, however, if you use Internet Explorer, you could use the menu choice: View->Source, and Notepad will launch with the source of the entire page. Then search for "img", near the text that I wrote. I typed in all the stuff you see there, including the less than and greather than signs, etc. (not sure how HTML literate you are, so pardon me if it sounds like I'm talking down to you...that's not my intention)[p]I didn't use the "Option image URL" found below, because I wanted to put 2 pics, and not one. [p]The con to this approach, is that you don't see that "picture" icon next to my post.[p]Regarding the tying up of the loin, I dont' recall ever tying anything up before, so I'm definitely no expert. I had to ask two people at the grocer where to find the string, and it sure was bloody expensive (over $5). I'll look into that netting idea. As well, I'll look into the rolled tenderloin idea. Rolling it would really help keep the juice contained, and depending on the filling could be greatly desired.[p]Good feedback! Thanks,[p]--sdb [p]
  • sdbelt, at Home Depot or Lowes or any hardware store, look for contractors cotton twine. I found it as a large ball of three strand twisted cotton cord. I cut about six or eight feet lingths and untwist the three cords(making three perfect size tying strings. Cotton is the important thing as far as heat goes. Synthetic would probably work for our purpose,, but cotton absorbs moisture and I have never damaged it even in high heat cooking. Cotton makes great drawers and T-shirts too. :D[p]Thanks for the tips on multi-pics.