Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I buy a L or an XL BGE?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to buy a BGE, should I buy a L or an XL. The cost is not an issue. It is for our winter home in PSL Florida. It will be our only grill. Most of the time we will need it to cook for 2 or 4. When company comes it would be cooking for 6-8 people. I like to cook a lot of the meal including veggies on the grill.[p]The big question I have is does one cook better overall then the other? Does one sear meat better then the other?[p]I would be considered a novice griller.

Comments

• Ron Touchete,
    Cooking for 50? Buy XL.[p]Cooking for only 8? Buy L.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Ron Touchete,
    The large will suite your needs just fine. Seeing that money is not an issue everyone here will tell you why not buy a large and a small?[p]The large cooking your ribs/brisket/boston butts. The small for some burgers or dogs for the kids. I often have a clean fire in my large for pizzas and use the small to grill up some chicken with a little smoke.[p]I'll use the small for ABT's etc while the main event is going on the large.

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Ron Touchete,[p]It seems to me that the large BGE would be fine for you. I cook on a large and have no problem cooking for 2,4,6 or eight people. The only time I wish I had more grill space on the large is when I'm trying to cook sides along with the meat. I've learn to cook in shifts. Long cooks such as ribs and butts etc... I start early, remove them and cook the appetizers, side dishes and breads. For short cooks like steaks and burgers I do the appetizers and sides first. I'm not sure that this also wouldn't be the case with the extra large.[p]Hope this helps.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Morro Bay Rich,
    I agree.

• Ron Touchete,
    Something no one mentioned and I thought was worth bringing up since you said you liked to cook sides as well... buy the large for cooking the entrees and a small to compliment it for doing sides... also the small is a searing machine... I figure by the time you get the large small combo you will have invested as much as an XL would cost... this is the set up I and many others have and love it.

• Good Eats,[p]The cost of a large with the table is $900.00 and the cost of a XL with a nest and side tables is $1,000.00. I only want to buy one unit not a small and a large. I also want to be able to sear steaks as well. So it seems that if te XL will sear steaks as wella as a Large then perhaps it makes sence to buy the XL?

• Unlike some, I don't want all my dishes tasting like smoke so I only make the main course on the egg (too much of a good thing...).
    I get by very nicely with a large egg.[p]JRC

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Ron Touchette,[p]If you are getting an XL with nest and mates for $1000 then you have found a pretty good bargain.[p]That being said, I think the XL is overkill for your stated uses. [p]Just my opinion. I have a large and a medium. Even when I had just the large I never wished for more space. It cooks much much more than you think it will. I added the second egg for two reasons. First is that I use the medium a lot more than the large when I am only cooking for 4 people. Secondly is for the versatility offered for multiple temps at the same time - or I can do burgers or steaks while I have butts or briskets going.
  • Ron Touchete,[p]Have you cooked on any other grill? If so then what one? The reason I'm asking is, I ran out of grill room on my Weber Kettle. I looked at both the LGE and XL. I finally bought the XL. Yes you can sear a steak on the XL as easy as the LGE.[p]Which ever way you go you won't regret it.[p]Mike
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Ron Touchete,[p]I love my XL egg. If you want to be able to plenty of full slabs of ribs, it is the only way to go.[p]Rollocks
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Ron Touchete,
    Get the large. i have xl, large, small and mini. the large is more than enough for what you cook. it is more efficient and uses less lump than the xl. It will get up to temp a little quicker. I cook most of my meals on my small but i routinely cook for 6-8 people on the large with ease. enjoy