Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blue Fish........

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friend brought over 6 large filets. Other than putting a little olive oil and kosher salt, grill both sides about 8 minutes any other suggestions on making this taste better?[p]Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Howard,
    Skip the oil and use Italian salad dressing.[p]Mike

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Howard,
    This fish is great smoked!
    By smoking with a sweet/salt/tangy brine it takes the fisheness away.
    I will try and remember the brine:
    molasses
    brown sugar
    itilain dressing
    water to cover fish
    let soak 24 hours
    I can look up the exact mesurments when I get back to the fish house tonight. I am selling seafood today. No blues on the truck today. Have fun!

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Howard,
    The key to good bluefish is to smoke it really low and slow. I generally start with a sparse dry rub of salt, pepper, and a few shakes of whatever catches my eye in the spice rack, but I've also marinated them in Italian dressing or Soy Vay Teriyaki with excellent results.
    I set my Egg as low as I can get it to hold steady, around 170, with alder and wine barrel chips for flavor, and smoke the filets indirect for 5 to 6 hours. Blues are very tasty once you render the oil from the meat. If you can't keep your Egg that low, a little hotter is okay, but you have to be very careful not to dry it out. It should still be moist and flake easily with a fork when done.

• Susan Egglaine,[p]I did read the fish have to be fillet quickly or blood taken out of it quickly to lessen the fishiness. Not sure what was done as they were brought with the heads off and slit down the middle. Hopefully the brine you give me will help. Family isn't thrilled with fishy tasting fish.[p]Thanks for your help,
    Howard

• Howard,
    I used to work summers up in MA to escape the hot & humid LA summers, and would catch a lot of blues. Frankly, I liked them best smoked over apple wood, with a brown mustard and mayo dipping sauce. [p]BUT since then I have developed a taste for stronger fish....I'd be tempted to try any recipe that's suitable for a stronger fishy fish...Blues are pretty oily, so drying them out is probably not a pivotal concern. [p]Don't get much bluefish out here in CO.....Good luck! Dickson