Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TURKEY IN BRINE WITH ICE

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok, i have never brined a turkey. they usually turn out so good on the egg i have never had a need to but i would like to try to so i can judge the difference. if i want to brine overnite either in a cooler or one of the orange 5 gallon water cooler, how do i add the ice? do i add ice to the brine liquid? wont this dilute the brine as the ice melts or do you take that into consideration when you make the brine and make it more concentrated with salt and sugar initially. i dont there are brine bags available but i would rather just be able to toss it in the cooler with the liquid. should i put the ice in 1 gallon ziplock bags?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ugavet,
    I use a XXX large ZipLoc 10 gallon bag and place bird and brine in that. Seal and place in a orange Rubbermaid and ice it down and then fill with water. That way the brine stays sanitary and the cooler stays clean. Furthermore I float a probe in the cooler, run the wire out and then I can monitor the water temp with ease. This may sound like a lot of work but my favorite brine goes for 4 days!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    ugavet,
    I used to make the brine more concentrated and then throw in ice on top of the meat to make it sink below. It ended up too salty that way. Now I still put ice on top for weight, but I freeze a gallon bag or two, mixed with water and salt(it makes the ice freeze at a lower temp)over the top of an inverted bowl, lined with some news papers to keep it from sticking. After it has frozen just pull off the concave ice block and use that to keep the meat submerged without diluting the brine. Just make th ebrine as you would normally.

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi RRP,
    Can we get a peek at that brine?
    Cheers,
    bruce

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    badbruce,[p]sure can! 2 days is OK, 3 days is better, but 4 days makes it super![p]Drum roll PLEASE![p]Ladies and Gentlemen from 7 years ago I present:
    [ul][li]John Ash's Turkey Brine poste by Cat on 11-17-00[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    RRP,
    Yep that splains it, my favorite brine, lol.
    & A tip of the hat to JAppledog.
    Cheers & Good Holidays,
    bruce

• Michael B
    Options
    ugavet,
    Ice???
    I brine in a turkey size baking bag, in a small roasting pan, in the refrigerator. Squeeze all the air out of the bag and seal.
    If the pan is too large, (room enough for the bag to sag and the top of the turkey isn’t submerged) pack dish towels down around the sides of the bird.

• Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    ugavet,
    I make my brine really concentrated then when it is done I pour over the ice to cool the brine and to have ice in the cooler. This will work for you . Hoss