Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread on Ceramics

Painter
Painter Posts: 464
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got the dough rising for first rise. My question is, can I put the dough on parchment paper on a pizza peel for the second rise, or do I defeat the purpose of the pizza stone cook by leaving it on the paper? My reasoning is that I can slide the risen loaf onto the stone with the paper without deflating it. Preheat times and baking temps would help if anyone has a clue. Thanks for any response.
Painter

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Painter,
    Here are some thoughts. Try Cornmeal and lots of it. The cornmeal will allow for airflow under the bread giving a crispy crust on all sides of the bread. I think that rule of thumb is to cook the bread at 50 degrees more than the recipe for the same amount of time. It may also help to use two pizza stones or a plate setter and a pizza stone.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Painter
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks, I'ts a hit and miss try for me. As long as I don't burn it, it can be eatin.

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    fe012dc8.jpg
    <p />Painter,
    This was last nights pizza and the best so far;thanks to Spin and Tim M.Used 550 dome with plate setter and pizza stone.Cleaned out all the old lump and lit the fire from the bottom both were key to this cook.Absolutely no smoke flavor and great crust.Good luck!!

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Painter,[p]You most certainly can, and it is actually a very good way to reduce the risk of disturbing the shaped loaf. As for baking temps ... it somewhat depends on the bread that your baking, the size of the loaf and the crust that you're going for. Generally I'll bring the dome temp up to 500°F and stabilize for about 1 hour prior to placing the loaf in the Egg. I'll use a plate setter and a pizza stone.[p]The baking time can range anywhere from 20 minutes to 40-45 minutes depending on the loaf. Most yeast breads are done when the loaf's internal temp registers 205°F.[p]Hope this helps,
    Puj

• Puj
    Painter,[p]One more thing ... sprinkle cornmeal or semolina flour on the peel and on the parchment paper. Don't be stingy with either on the parchment paper.[p]What bread are you making?[p]Puj
  • Painter
    Puj,
    Used the parchment and semolina and stable 450 dome for 1/2 hr. before inserting the bread. Used the special bread flour from King Flour. 35 minutes and instant read 190 internal on bread. Good thing for the thermometer as the bottom was just ready to start to darken. Excellent stuff. Wife was impressed and will definately do again. I don't have a plate setter as of yet but I can see it's in the future if I'm going to do bread. I need the extra mass to cook on. Preheating for a while cleans off any remaining residue from previous cooks and there was no smoke taste at all.. Thanks
    Painter
    Gonna have some toast made from it tommorrow morning

• Painter
    Jim R,
    Great looking pizza. I've done a few myself and enjoy alot. You have it down right with the nice browning on the top. You're a quick learner. Good Weekend to ya
    Painter

• Puj
    Painter,[p]Getting the temp stabilized for the 30 minutes (for you) and up to an hour (for me) is crucial to minimizing a smoke taste. Great job![p]It's more important to prepare the dough properly than to fiddle with baking temp of the Egg but, as you bake more loaves in the Egg you'll hopefully try upping the internal temp for the start of the bake and adjust time and temp from there. The results are worth it.[p]Bagels for us tomorrow morning. [p]Puj
  • Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Painter,
    Sorry got carried a way with the pizza thing didn't read it really was about bread.