Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza help...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new BGEgger, only had mine 2 weeks. I am having a few people over for the final NASCAR race this weekend and want to make pizza. I have a pizza stone for my oven, but it won't fit in the egg. And I won't have a chance to get to a culinary store to purchase a smaller one. Anything else I can use???? Many thanks for all the useful info I get from this forum!

Comments

• Carbonizer
    Options
    Fluffyb,
    When I make a homemade New York style thin crust dough and want to cook a pizza at 900 deg I use my platesetter with the legs down and the flat side is my pizza stone. [p]

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Fluffyb,
    What size egg do you have?Do you have a plate setter?

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Fluffyb,
    I hope this helps.[p]Mike

[ul][li]Whiz's Pizza Help[/ul]
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Fluffyb,
    Do the pizza in the oven.If you do not have a plate setter or a raised grid or extra fire bricks hold off until you can buy them and do the job the right way.Do some ABT'S.wings or whatever on the egg and enjoy your weekend.

• Darnoc,
    Thanks for all the help! My platesetter is on it's way, I'm hoping it gets here tomorrow. [p]Fluff

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Fluffyb,
    It took me three tries before I got the set-up, temp right. Practice!
    You can do ABT's and wings for a warm up.
    Have fun!

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    Fluffyb,[p]If you do not do high temp pizzas (700-900 degrees) then you may not need this, but I use both the plate setter and a pizza screen (about $1.50 from a restaurant supply store). When I used the plate setter by itself (or a pizza stone by itself for that matter), I had a VERY difficult time not burning the crusts. [p]Good luck.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    cbs,
    i thought it was just me burning up pizza crust. this solved my problem, fill the head (maybe a wok would work) with sand and put the stone into the sand, not on that grid, and now i dont burn crust from 900 to 1100 degree dome temps. i set this up on a spider. i cant tell you how many pizzas ive burnt trying 500 degrees the traditional way.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Try this setup one time and see if it helps.....[p]Platesetter on fire ring, legs up...
    Cooking grid on top of legs....
    pizza stone on cooking grid...[p]This will leave some 3" of airspace between the 2 ceramics...and the stone isn`t seeing the drect brunt of the coals..[p]Wess