Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Roast Ideas

Danny C
Danny C Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks! My brief hunting season was a great success, so I have plenty of venison in the freezer. Now, I've never tried any venison on the Egg and I'm anxious to try both a roast and steaks/chops. I'm looking for suggestions especially on the roasts. Since the meat is lean, I'm worried about tenderness and drying it out. Anyone have ideas to offer? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    DannyC,
    The ceramic is going to keep your meat moist without drying it out like conventional grills and ovens. If you are concerned about the roasts you could try brining. I believe J.Appledog had a brine for venison posted a couple weeks back. Using a layer of bacon strips over the roast would help as would making sure the dome temps didn't get out of hand. Just a couple thoughts... or you could send me a few cuts and I could experiment for you... :~)
    WD

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    venisonribroast3.jpg
    <p />Danny:[p]Venison rib roast. Seared, then cooked to a medium interior. I think this was pulled at about 120º or so. Because this meat is lean it is better suited for grilling.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    djm5x9,
    Wow. That is gorgeous. At least it is to this carnivoire.[p]If God didn't want us to eat animals, he would not have made them out of righteous looking meat like that![p]Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9, That is one pretty chunk of venison. Do my eyes deceive me or is that what might be considered a "rack" of venison?[p]The reason I ask is because I think I am seeing a rib bone in the bigger piece of the roast.[p]Beers to you,[p]Juggy D Beerman

• djm5x9
    venisonribroast1.jpg
    <p />Juggy:[p]Yes sir, and a wonderful cut it is. Racks of venison and lamb are hard to beat!

[ul][li]On The Plate . . .[/ul]
  • DannyC,[p]I put a round roast on the grill at about 325 for about one hour with heavy hickory smoke. Then I wrapped the roast in smoked bacon and wrapped in foil and cooked for another hour. The meat was moist and wonderful.[p]Happy eating.[p]Buckeye Bill
  • djm5x9, That rack of lamb sure is pretty and so is the chop on the plate. I am a lamb fan myself, but I prefer lamb raised in the U.S. as opposed to lamb that comes from New Zealand. IMHO the NZ lamb has less flavor than American lamb as they are slaughtered at a younger age in NZ than lambs in America.[p]I have buthered and consumed a lot of venison in my time but that is the first time I have ever seen or heard of a rack of deer. I have always fileted the tenderloin and loin from the spine and threw the ribs away. IMHO there is usually not enough meat on deer ribs to bother with cooking them. [p]Thanks for posting the picture. I learned something new today. Now was the tenderloin left on the rack too?[p]Beers to you,[p]Juggy D Beerman[p]

• djm5x9
    lamblunch.jpg
    <p />Juggy:[p]The previous pictures were of a venison rib roast without the tenderloin.[p]Here is a picture of a lamb rib roast or "rack of lamb" after being cut and consumed the next day at the office for lunch.[p]One of the nice benefits of being in the construction industry is you can "suggest" your subs (all of them are rabid hunters) visit with select venison cuts during hunt season! One of those People Eating Tasty Animal things!
  • djm5x9,
    Boy that looks pretty good seeing how the picture was taken after it was consumed. :o) Just as good coming out as it was going in I spose. LOL
    I don't think I would have done that on the fine china though. You're a pretty good aim![p]jazzy
    I'm a sick man but a happy guy!

• djm5x9
    jazzyjoe:[p]Very! Sose I have poor language skills! Thanks for the maple link.