Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

vinegar sauce for chopped pork bbq

JDub
JDub Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not yet found a recipe that I like for the vinegar sauce used in Eastern Carolina on chopped BBQ. I'm pretty sure they add some of this same sauce to the BBQ, but I liberally add more at my favorite BBQ haunts in NC. Does anyone out there have any suggestions/recipes?

Comments

• JDub, Great question! I'd love to learn of a few![p]Rascal

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    JDub,[p]Adapted from an old friend of my dad's who passed recently, this is what I use - I mix it in with the pork and drizzle over the meat on a sandwich:[p]1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 teasp tabasco
    1/2 teasp salt
    1/2 teasp onion powder
    1/2 teasp pepper
    1/2 teasp worchestershire sauce
    bring to boil...reduce...simmer 10 minutes

• I grew up in Eastern NC and the recipe that I use is
    cider vinegar
    crushed red pepper
    salt and black pepper
    just mix it till it looks right. no real need to cook

• scole
    scole Posts: 29
    JDub,[p]1 pint apple cider vinegar
    2 Tablespoons salt
    2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoons ground red pepper (cayenne)

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    JDub,
    The best I ever tasted was Grillmeister’s[p]Pull Pork sauce[p]Take a 1/2-liter water bottle and pour the water in a glass & drink it.

With a funnel, add the following to the water bottle.

4 Tbs. Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
    2 Tbs. Turbinado Sugar
    1 tsp. Ground Chipotle Pepper (McCormick's works best)
    1 tsp. Ground Cayenne Pepper

Then top off with Apple Cider Vinegar, put the cap back on and shake it till the salt & sugar dissolve. Let it sit for a day before using and the peppers will steep in the vinegar.
    Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    TRex,
    Looks about right. Toss in a little sage and some red pepper flakes and your even better.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    JDub,[p]The Carolina's are a crossroads of sorts of sauces and flavors. Here is a Basic Eastern North Carolina sauce that I have always liked. Some call for a higher proportion of vinegar to water, but this is a good starting place to test the taste buds. Can be used as a basting sauce as well as a table sauce on pulled or chopped barbecued pork. [p]1/2 Cup Water
    1 Cup Cider Vinegar
    2 t Salt (try sea salt)
    1-1/2 t Cayenne Pepper
    1/2 t Black Pepper
    Warm the base so that the salt & peppers can blend in evenly. [p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JDub,[p]Just curious, JDub...where's one or two of your favorite NC BBQ places? If you've ever tried Stamey's in Greensboro (I know they're not "eastern NC" but they serve that style), their sauce is a lot like Thirdeye's recipe.[p]Good luck concocting.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    JDub,[p]Quick and easy from my in-laws and grand in-laws who are lifetime Carolina que'ers:[p]1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup Frank's red hot
    1/2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet
    Black Pepper to taste[p]That's it. Good stuff on PP

• JDub
    JDub Posts: 23
    DynaGreaseball,[p]I've got three that are all excellent. Bullock's in Durham, Ralph's in Weldon and Roland's in Beaufort. You can't go wrong with any of these places! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.[p]Never been to Stamey's.
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    dhuffjr,[p]SAGE! Sorry--I was born, raised, and still reside in South Carolina and never ever saw sage in any southern food. Especially BBQ sauce Closest thing to sage was maybe a chicken who ate it before we axed it.[p]As for a good vinegar sauce just buy bone sucking sauce and add parts of apple juice and vinegar until you hit what you are looking for. Honestly, we submit all of our competiton tuen ins without sauce and usually beat out those using sauce..Just say NO to sauce!! And always stay from the red pepper flakes because they burn!!

• JDub,

And Allen and Son's in Chapel Hill.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    BYC,
    He wasn't asking about competion meat. In Eastern North Carolina I remember the sauce always having red pepper flakes in it.[p]I've got a recipe that uses a store bought sauce and a gallon of vinegar with some other things tossed in.....including sage. It is mighty tasty.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    dhuffjr,[p]then by all means throw it all in there! PO it on!![p]scattered, smothered and covered!!! throw some sage in dem taters!!!! make 'em saters!!