Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you reheat Pulled Pork (Ping thirdeye)

Jeeves
Jeeves Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wasn't it you who had the 'how to, but don't tell anyone to use either Dr. Pepper or, was it Coke, plain Coca Cola"? (use c-pot)[p]TIA,
-j

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Jeeves,
    real coke works well, i cut it down a little with some lowsodium chicken stock. crock or covered casserole dish in the oven.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeeves,[p]Here is one option.[p]How to, Reheat Pulled Pork

BSinAZ,I happen to prefer the Coca-Cola method as I have had great success with that method - but first thing you need to know is the Coke DOES NOT flavor it nor change the taste! Why it works I'm not real sure but it eliminates that lousy warmed over taste IMHO and really works wonders on beef as well. Quantity wise I prefer one 12 oz can of real Coke, - no diet stuff, nor any flavored Coke either and NO!, pepsi will not work so please don't try to substitute. I find one can for two to four pounds of pulled pork is fine when done in a crock pot at low temp and stirred from time to time. Even warmed in a pan on the stove works but in that case stir often and keep it low! The real secret though is not to tell your guests - it's weird, but people wrinkle up their noses at the Coke idea since they think it will be sweet or something - but it isn't, nor is there even any color left, but if they don't know the secret all they do is applaud you for the wonderful pulled pork!

Recipe Type
    Help

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, RRP, 05/17/07

[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Richard Fl,
    like the politicans say..."I'm RRP and I endorse this explanation" LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Jeeves,[p]I don't think I mentioned not to tell, I have no secrets.....Well I do, but that is why they are called secrets. Heheee. I use the Dr and Coke in sauces, for glazes on ham, and as reheating liquid for barbecue. Coke is my favorite of the soda pops for PP and brisket. [p]I did however ask the question about other folks favorite reheating liquids and kept the results. I'll probably post them on my site at some time, but here they are....[p]~thirdeye~ [p]Here is a summary showing which liquids folks add to meats when reheating. Some information is from my cookin' notes, some from interviews, podcasts, cookbooks or magazine articles and the most recent is from the poll question I posted on 3 Q sites. The most popular responses are listed first in each list.[p]Cooking juice was mentioned often. This generally referred to juices collected in the foil during the resting period, not juices collected if meats were cooked in foil or pans. [p]Coca-Cola & apple juice are used a lot too, both straight and as an added ingredient. Sprite was mentioned only twice, the explanation is because “the citrus adds a little brightness back to the product”.[p]Only about 25% added dry seasonings after pulling the beef or pork.[p]~thirdeye~[p]**** PORK BUTT ****
    Apple juice + cooking juice
    Apple juice + chicken broth
    Coca-Cola
    Apple juice + cooking juice + cider vinegar
    Coca-Cola + chicken broth
    Coca Cola + BBQ sauce
    Apple juice
    Apple juice + cider vinegar
    Dr. Pepper + cooking juice
    RC Cola + sauce
    Fruit nectars
    Sprite[p]**** Brisket ****
    BBQ sauce + cooking juice
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce
    BBQ sauce + water
    Coca-Cola
    BBQ sauce + beer
    BBQ sauce (1/3) + Beef stock (2/3) + cooking juice
    Beef broth + AuJus mix
    Sprite[p]**** BBQ BEEF (chuck or clod) ****
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce + cooking juice
    Cooking juice + BBQ sauce
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce
    Beef broth + Coca-Cola
    Beef broth + coffee
    BBQ sauce (1/3) + Beef stock (2/3) + cooking juice
    BBQ sauce + Apple juice
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce + cider vinegar
    Coca-Cola
    Sprite[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    thirdeye,[p]
    got it -thank u very much!

• Jeeves,
    A bamboo steamer works great. Adds moisture back in the meat. [p]MC Jerry

• Jwirlwind,
    You may also use a metal collander over a pot of water with a lid on it. It returns moisture back to the meat without changing taste. [p]MC Jerry