Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great lime based chicken marinade

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have to share this one I threw together last night. I was going a small (4.5 lbs) spatchcocked chicken, and I wanted to try something similar to a fajita marinade. I used the juice of one lime, olive oli (maybe 1-2 tlbs), lots of black pepper, couple of dashes of sea salt, fresh garlic (2-3 cloves) and about a tlbs of a hot sauce called Carribean Heat (it's a great, thick sauce I get at a local supermarket - Shopper's Food Warehouse). [p]I only marinaded the chicken for about an hour, but it was very flavorful. The fresh lime probably helped it really penetrate. I think next time I'll add a little cumin and maybe some chopped scallions. I might also try some other hot sauces (I have a habernero version of Car. Heat I think will work well). It was one of the best chickens I've ever cooked.[p]Have a great weekend everyone![p]-Steve

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]My wife makes a marinade with calamansi (a small lemon or lime) soy sauce and garlic. She uses it on chicken parts; legs, thighs and wings. I agree with you I absolutely love this especially when she does wings. Her and her father often enjoy a good laugh at how many wings I eat.[p]I definately second your thoughts on the lime based chicken marinade.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Jethro,
    I third it. Limes and Lemons make a great base for a marinade. Very tangy, but not overpowering.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BluesnBBQ,
    Did you use any wood chips or chunks? If so, what flavor? I've found that many wood smokes overpower the clean citrus flavor that we really enjoy. I have a cuban pork recipe that uses sour orange, oregano, salt and garlic; tried it on the egg with slight pecan smoke, and the spices were overpowered by the smoke.
    Thanks
    MaryA

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    MaryA,[p]I used a handful of hickory chips. I started cooking at around 250, so I could get some smoke flavor (for about 15-20 mnutes), then kicked the temperature up to 300-350 for the rest of the cook. It had a nice smokey flavor that went well with the lime and peppers in the marinade.