Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer hind quarter

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well is that time of year hear in the deep south to grab a high power rifle and go out and gun down some poor herbavore. Well the deed is done and the meat is in the freezer. About a 100 lb and the whole rear quarter should fit on my medium egg. Now how do I cook this thing? Any suggestions on time/heat and spices? I also got the frount shoulders and tender loins to burn so any sugestions on them? Will do the hind quarter first of next week. Normaly we cut it in steaks and fry but the Egg should do this up good. Thanks

Comments

• JLOCKHART29,
    I did a shoulder last year on a gasser (didn't have a egg then). I don't remember the cook time but I cooked it at about 325 deg to just a little over medium rare it was great. So I would season with favorate spices and cook direct at 325 to maybe 135-140 sorry I don't remember the time.

• JLOCKHART29,
    when we do a leg.... there's usually a large group and lotsa beer.... we put the leg a raised grill and slowly grill it on a low fire mopping somewhat frequently with bbg sauce as we go... there's a large carving knife next to the egg.... folks just cut off what they want and either make sandwiches or just eat as much as they want while trying to "kill the keg"...that must be a small deer if a whole leg's gonna fit on a medium..( i 'm assuming it's not deboned) the tenderloins are always panfried in butter, garlic, olive oil.... the pan's then deglazed with some wine.... some heavy cream is added and reduced to make a nice sauce which is poured over the almost bloody medallions(3/4 inch thick) of loin.... these are very lean and if cooked any other way become quickly dry and tough....the front shoulders are ground up for sausage along with any other trimmings from the neck and other areas....

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    dbishop, Internal temp. in the thickest part is what I need the most. Was planing on using plate setter inverted with a drip pan on it 1/4 full of H2O/beer as deer is dry anyway. Then stick my grill rack on setter legs with quarter on it at about 250-275 degrees low and slow. Biggest question was what temp meat done. 135-140 seems low but I have never done one on egg. Are you pretty sure of temp? Don't want it to go to waist.

• JLOCKHART29, Deer Season 8/15-12/31. I have an awesome recipe (got it out of a cookbook from Missisippi). Marinate it for two weeks in Bourbon. When I smoked that big boy, it tasted like sauerbraten and I sliced that thing for gravy sandwiches and ate on that thing for weeks. I actually sent the recipe to Mad Max a few years ago, but did not save it. If you really want it, let me know and I wil have to retype ugh.