Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nature Boy,, re-visit the cracked firebox thread.

Options
King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made a starteling discovery this morning during a complete clean out. Now I'm getting worried. Call an ambulance,,, get a doctor,, what do we do,,,, panic,, dread,,,,, my world is crumbling down around me. I can live being broke,, but I can't stand to have my big green buddy broke..... Waaaaahaaaaa,,snifff,sniff.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Ok I'll bite - what was your discovery?

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Gfw, my world is crumbling down around me. My fire-box, fire-ring, and fire-grate that it.. I left a post on Nature Boy's "cracked firebox poll",, then had to go back and add a new one once I discovered the extent of cracking. Everything still fits together, but the firebox grate is only a few months old, and I have been very careful with it since I had it replaced. I'm beginning to worry whether these cracks could put the outer shell in danger. But I did get my top off.:I

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Way to go! Cat will be proud of ya![p]Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    your outer shell is bomb proof. Pushing it across a parking lot at high speeds is not recommended, but your cracks are not a problem. I too, just noticed my fire ring has a crack, but only on one side. Get you a new one, and smile.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Teslamania
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Interesting. KOC and I had cracked fire rings as well. Not too many broken fire rings out there. You cook a lot more than I do, and KOC has had the egg a lot longer than I have. I wonder how many others have had cracked fire rings as well. Wonder if KOC's thermo-nuclear cleaning of the plate setter had anything to do with it.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Teslamania,
    Yeah. The ceramic mass is probably not the culprit. Could have a little something to do with the cracks, but I'm thinking that high temp steaks, chops, squid, whatever....are gonna tax those components just as much. The egg is designed to work at hign temps, but looks like some minor changes need to be made to the design/construction of the fireboxes (and maybe firerings too).[p]The killer customer service makes up for everything, and I would suppose after replacing so many of these items, that BGE is actively looking into ways to improve them. [p]In the meantime, we all barbecue happily, with primo results.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Nature Boy:[p]Can you mention that cooker here?

• Teslamania, the firering looked like it has been cracked for a while. Looking at cross section of the breaks, it looks like there is a tiny white area on the side towards the inside of the egg. The meltdown was a "hell" of a test. Like I said,, glad we didn't have room for desert,,,, but the self-cleaning feature worked perfectly. My plate setter is all white again and the inner egg is as clean as a whistle.. My pro-cooking area will be under the deck,,,, but as an added safety measure, it may be fitted with automatic sprinkler system,, or Halon. Of course, the sprinkler system could damage the egg,,,,,, and the house is insured anyway.:)

• Rsqare
    Options
    King-O-Coals, I also noticed this morning that my firebox had 2 hairline cracks, but the ribs I cooked were still mighty tasty!

• Rsqare, either these cracks, (or the advice from the forum) are helping. My food is getting better everytime I cook.(^: