Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

brining

picturmanpicturman Posts: 1
edited 1:59AM in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a good idea receipe for brine. First time trying it on a turkey breast.
·

Comments

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    picturman,
    You can see mine in the cooks section of my website...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
    ·
  • MaryAMaryA Posts: 11
    picturman,
    There are some great great recipes on forum participants sites. I stumbled across a honey brine recipe from Wegman's that we've found nice: http://www.wegmans.com/greatMeals/recipes/frameset.asp?recipe=6742&sd=sneakpeek&url=displayrecipe.asp&direct=false

·
  • picturman,
    Brining is real easy, and there have been a lot of posts recently on the subject. Here is a real good brine:[p]1 gallon water
    1 cup coarse kosher salt
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1/2 c white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    4 tablespoons black pepper
    3 - 4 tablespoons chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon Allspice
    1 ounce Morton’s Tenderquick (optional)
    Heat water/salt/sugars to rolling boil. Take off burner, add other ingredients.[p]Allow mixture to cool before placing meat into solution. Place 10 - 12 lb. turkey in non-reactive container and cover with brine. [p]
    Refrigerate for minimum of 24 hours, preferably 48 hours. [p] [p]Remove turkey from the refrigerator and discard brine. Rinse turkey three times, pat dry. Apply light coating of your favorite rub or spices. [p]Place turkey in BGE and smoke cook at 200ºF for one hour per lb. with 4 oz. wood. I like cherry or apple wood for my turkey. [p]Smoke until internal temperature of breast reaches 160ºF to 165ºF. Remove from Egg and allow to sit for 30 minutes before slicing.[p]Note: About the “optional” Tenderquick. If you smoke a turkey at temperatures of 180º to 225ºF, you might want to consider using the Tenderquick. The turkey will be spending a lot of time in the DANGER ZONE of 40º to 140º, so just be aware of this. If in doubt, use the Tenderquick. [p] [p]Here is a good source for Brining information: http://www.cookshack.com/barbeque_guide/101/Brining101.htm[p] [p] [p]

[ul][li]Brining 101[/ul]
    ·
  • picturman,
    Hey, I found another good source for Turkey brines:[p]http://www.bbq-porch.org/brining06.asp

[ul][li]more turkey brines[/ul]
    ·
  • picturman,
    here's another one on brining turkey

[ul][li]turkey tips[/ul]
    ·