Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Perfect Turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to try the perfect turkey recipe from the big green egg website for Thanksgiving. Can any of you recommend whether this works better using the V rack or vertical roaster? I have both. Also, can any of you give me directions on how to make the gravy with what is left in the drip pan? Lastly, it says to use wine or chicken broth in the drip pan. Which is better?[p]Thank you![p]Jim

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Jim Bethea,[p]
    Checked out the recipe you are going to use. Sounds simple and good. If it were me, I'd use broth. I used wine on my Mad Max Turkey and I wasn't impressed with the choice I made. Maybe a different wine if you are use to cooking with wine. Look like you could go either way if you do decide to go horizontal, could I suggest resting on carrots and celery for additional flavor.[p]I would try the proven method of a Mad Max turkey.[p]Check out link[p]Mike

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Mike in Abita,[p]I felt the same way about the wine, but I had no idea what I was doing and probably used too much wine. Also, I used cooking wine.[p]I put apple juice (not cider) in the pan, the gravy turned sweet. I think the apple juice got hot in the pan and carmalized - wans't burnt. The Turkey was great, gavey just ok.
  • Jim Bethea,[p]I used the V rack. works great! I use Mad Max's turkey recipe a couple of times now. It is really good.
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    I dunno about the cooking wine you had; but the one and only time I bought cooking wine - I opened and tasted it - then immediately poured it down the drain and tossed the bottle; never again. It was more like salt water with a bit of alcohol in it. Nasty. I use Chardonnay or Cab, depending on what I am making with it. Result is *VERY* different than with "cooking wine".[p]TD

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Tony,[p]The last time I tasted wine when I was 19 at Ft. Bragg NC. (my kids say now I am older than dirt) - long time ago.[p]Anyway the experience was like this. $3.00 = 1 Gallon = me being sick for 3 days (day 2 adn day 3 I got sick all over again with anything I drank including water).[p]The gravy was pretty good but to me there was a strong alcohol tast. I know I must have had wine cooked foods many times while eating out but I never tasted the alcohol in those times.[p]At some point in time I will have to give the wine another try with a better wine.[p]Thanks for the advice.