Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Plateau

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is meant bt the term " cooking plateau" when doing a long cook like a boston butt for pulled pork?[p]Thanks. D2

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Davey D in LV,[p]The plateau is where the meat temp stalls and does not rise for hours at a time. The meat is breaking down and juices are flowing in the meat fibres. Then the temps start rising again after a 2-4 hour plateau. I have seen some butts give two plateaus too. I normally bump up the dome temp after the stall is over to 275 deg.[p]Tim
  • Razorback
    Options
    Tim M,
    What happens if you bump up the dome temperature during the plateau?

• Tim M,[p]Thanks Tim, and your web site is great resource. Since I got my BGE for Christmas, it is very hard for me to get back into the flow and concentrate on work, all I want to do is learn about and cook on my egg![p]Regards, D2. [p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Razorback,[p]Nothing - it just cooks a little faster. Depends on how much time you have.[p]Tim
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Razorback, I'll try answering for Tim (but he may correct me). The plateau is where all the fat and connecting tissue breaks down and loosens the meat so that it can be easily pulled. It takes a while to do this. Inceasing the heat too much at this point may increase the meat temperature without thoroughly breaking down all the connective tissue or may dry the meat out more as the connective tissue breaks down. What I know for sure is that when you allow it to cook at about 225 through this plateau, the meat just literally falls apart and all bone and gristle (there is virtually no fat left) can easily be removed and yet the meat is still moist. I've liked this result so much I have never tried increasing the temperature too soon.

• Wise One
    Options
    Tim M,
    sorry. Tried to answer for you thinking you weren't around. Took me too long to answer I guess.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Razorback,
    If you bump the temp up before the plateau is finished, then you are "forcing" the meat through the plateau. A better product can be had by waiting until the collagen breakdown is finished.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Wise One,
    Did not see your response when I posted mine! You done said it gooder.[p]Happy New Year
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Options
    Nature Boy, Happy New Year to you. But you used that big word "collagen" that I can never remember.[p]
  • Razorback
    Options
    Tim M,
    Thanks to all for the answers. I did my first this last weekend and almost got a little impatient. I hung in there through the plateau and it was great.