Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thick port chop ideas

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any clue how to do thick pork chops? I have not the slightest clue how to do them and they were purchased for me to cook them.[p]Thanks[p]ab ovo

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    ab obo,
    sounds like you could do a T-Rex method of cooking them.
    High heat to carmelize them, then reduce heat to finish the cook. For a different twist, when they are almost done, glaze them with a reduction of port wine and fig preserves or apricot preserves.

• ab obo,
    Try doing 2 minutes a side at 700 degrees, and then completly shut your egg down and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes depending on your taste and how thick it is. I like mine cooked to medium, so it usually takes about 3 minutes. As far as seasoning, with pork chops I usually just use Salt & lots of fresh cracked pepper

• Chef Wil,[p]Now you have me licking my chops! [p]Get it? [p]Damn, I'm almost funny
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ab obo,
    perfect for hot tubbing. into a ziploc bag, no air, and submerge in a bowl of hot tap water (hot as you can) for 20-30 minutes.[p]sear over a moderate-high fire, say 650-700 for 3 minutes a side, and you'll be pretty close to 140-145 internal.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    stike,
    that is a great idea. I am going to try that. I will let you know the outcome.[p]ab ovo

• ab ovo
    Options
    Eggtorgy,
    I definitely will do the 700 degrees on each side with the salt and pepper. I think that I will try Stike's hot tub method with that.[p]ab ovo

• ab ovo
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    I don't know if I have any port but I guess I could use a strong Cabernet as a sub. What do you think?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ab ovo,
    works good with thick steaks too.[p]i do it with the dry aged beef, because i get perfact sear on the outside, and no "well done" layer at all. nothing but sear and medium-rare/rare

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante