Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with 12 1/2 lb brisket

slyrye
slyrye Posts: 135
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a 12 1/2 lb brisket w/point and would like to serve around 2-2:30 tomorrow, can someone give me estimates as to time and temp with indirect setup? What i have read is 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per lb @ 225, that would be 18 to 24 hrs, does this seem right?
Thanks in advance
Marty

Comments

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    slyrye,[p]I find the cook time is closely related to the amount of fat on the brisket. If it is "packer trimmed", it will take less time; if untrimmed, much longer. I always have a hard time getting the timing just perfect - so I usually tend to start a few hours before the longest cook time I expect, and use the cooler, pan & sauce to close the gap. You can't serve it on time if it ain't done - but you can hold it fairly well for 2 to 6 hours when it's done early... : )[p]I use a BBQ guru, put the grill probe on the grill, and run it at 200F. I set the meat probe for 180 and use the ramping feature. Care free long, overnight cooks... no worries! Some people think that is cheating, I happen to think it is smart![p]TD
  • JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    slyrye,[p]On average your brisket will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound to smoke at an average dome temp of 225-250.. I NEVER base my smoke according to time...but internal meat temp. I pull the meat off the egg at an internal temp of 190, wrap in hd aluminum foil, wrap in clean bath towel and put in a clean cooler for 2-3 hours. So...to answer your question it will take probably 21-26 hours including coolering to smoke your brisket IMO. Good luck.

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • slyrye,[p]Without a Guru it might be easier to maintain a dome temp of 250º and your cooking time is just a guesstimate at best. Cook to meat temp. I pull at 190º wrap and into the cooler. Over the last 6 brisket cooks I've only had one real success. It's a hard piece of meat to do right without practice.[p]Good luck and where is the party? I could bring coleslaw.
  • slyrye,[p]It is very important when lighting you egg you 'go UP' to temp don't come down from a higher temp to reach your desired cooking temp.[p]As you are aware the ceramics will hold temp well. When coming down it is easy to snuff out the lump while thinking you are at target temp. This results in an overnight failure.[p]If you have not done this before long low and slow...[p]It is also important you have enough lump to get you through the cook. See The Naked Whiz site for some detailed informaiton. Also, follow his lighting instructions.[p]In my large BGE I make sure all my air vents are clear and that my ash has been removed from the bottom of the egg. I fill the lump to the top of the fire ring.[p]
  • slyrye, I've mentioned this before, and other's do it too. Stick the nozzle of you shop vac in the clean out door opening, and suck all the ash out. It'll get it clean as a hound's tooth, and no mess. Just be sure all your ash and lump is cold.