Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham and Hoppin'John

Options
Janet
Janet Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on fixing Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham tomorrow with some Hoppin' John on the side. Any favorite Hoppin' John recipes out there? I've used a yankee recipe for years and am interested in trying something different or unique. Would appreciate any ideas.[p]Janet

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Janet, Hoppin John? What's that?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RRP,
    Enjoy.[p]Hoppin' John

1 pound ham hocks
    1 cup chopped onions
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    3 1/2 cups water
    2 cups dried black-eyed peas
    1 1/2 cups rice
    uncooked
    salt
    black pepper

Combine ham hocks, onion, salt, red pepper and water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 1-1/4 hours, or until ham is tender.Meanwhile, wash blackeyes. Combine blackeyes and 6 cups water; bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.Remove ham hocks from saucepan. Add water to liquid left in saucepan to measure 3-1/2 cups, if necessary. Cut meat into small pieces, discarding bone and rind. Drain blackeyes; discard soaking liquid. Combine ham, blackeyes and rice in large saucepan; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until blackeyes and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Makes 8 servings

• Janet
    Options
    RRP,
    JJ said it all for the description. Plus, if I remember correctly, you are supposed to eat one black-eyed pea per one day of good luck in 2002. Good dish besides![p]Janet[p]

• Janet
    Options
    JJ,
    Thanks!
    Janet[p]