Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

A turkey question

Not SiriusNot Sirius Posts: 32
edited 6:46PM in EggHead Forum
I've been smoking turkeys for years, first brining them to provide flavor as well as moisture. This year, for the first time, I will be egging the turkey. I've seen from earlier posts that turkeys cooked in the BGE come out moist without the need to brine. Since the brine also contributes a desirable flavor, I'd like to continue doing it. I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with cooking a brined turkey on the egg. Is there a downside? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Comments

• ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,956
    Not Sirius,[p]Brined Turkeys tend to cook a bit quicker...but I think that also applies to Brined Birds in the oven as well!![p]That's been my experience![p]Evans[p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Not Sirius,
    I also brine turkey for the BGE. Works great, nice and moist with good flavor. I usually make my own brine, but will be trying Fire and Flavor brand this year. (www.fireandflavor.com)[p]M

• RascalRascal Posts: 3,454
    EggspertMN, FWIW I did a store finder search and Lowe's came up in this neck of the woods (FL). Don't know if it's a regional thing or what products they offer...[p]Rascal

• Rascal,
    I just bought it in the grocery store. I tried it last year foir a turkey I smoked in my smoker. It was good. now trying in the BGE (I did the injection method last year in the BGE) I will be doing 3 turkeys this year.[p]Cheers[p]M

• EggspertMN,
    Thanks, guys. You've given me the confidence to proceed.[p]Phil