Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A turkey question

Not SiriusNot Sirius Posts: 32
edited 12:54PM in EggHead Forum
I've been smoking turkeys for years, first brining them to provide flavor as well as moisture. This year, for the first time, I will be egging the turkey. I've seen from earlier posts that turkeys cooked in the BGE come out moist without the need to brine. Since the brine also contributes a desirable flavor, I'd like to continue doing it. I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with cooking a brined turkey on the egg. Is there a downside? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
·

Comments

• ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,790
    Not Sirius,[p]Brined Turkeys tend to cook a bit quicker...but I think that also applies to Brined Birds in the oven as well!![p]That's been my experience![p]Evans[p]
    ·
  • Not Sirius,
    I also brine turkey for the BGE. Works great, nice and moist with good flavor. I usually make my own brine, but will be trying Fire and Flavor brand this year. (www.fireandflavor.com)[p]M

·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,352
    EggspertMN, FWIW I did a store finder search and Lowe's came up in this neck of the woods (FL). Don't know if it's a regional thing or what products they offer...[p]Rascal

·
  • Rascal,
    I just bought it in the grocery store. I tried it last year foir a turkey I smoked in my smoker. It was good. now trying in the BGE (I did the injection method last year in the BGE) I will be doing 3 turkeys this year.[p]Cheers[p]M

·
  • EggspertMN,
    Thanks, guys. You've given me the confidence to proceed.[p]Phil

·