Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

acorn squash

Options
Electric Don
Electric Don Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any experience to share with a simple recipe for roasting acorn squash on the BGE? If I don't hear something, I'm just going to halve it, put some brown sugar and butter in, cook in a pan on the egg at about 375, check after maybe 45 minutes. But I would like to hear any other ideas.[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Don B.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Electric Don,
    that's how we do it. indirect if you can. [p]one thing i do is oil the cut edges, grill direct for a few minutes to get some grill marks, then turn them bowl-side up (indirect), add a pat of butter, some maple syrup, etc.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Electric Don,
    i have only done acorn once here is what i did.[p]cut in half rub with evoo
    salt and pepper
    350 indirect for 1 hr
    scoop out of skin mash with broen sugar and butter
    enjoy[p][p]HTH[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    Electric Don,
    I haven't done this on an Egg yet (mine is supposed to ship next week!), but I have done this in the oven and in my WSM. Cook the squash as you described in your message but pull it out after 30 minutes then stuff it. I use a stuffing of crumbled fatty, sauteed onions and cubed up cornbread, salt and pepper. Once it is stuffed in the squash I sprinkle on some chicken stock and put on a pat of butter. Then I cook it until the squash is tender and the stuffing is brown on top.[p]...ron (Smokin' In The Suburbs!)
    BGE Soon Come!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Electric Don,
    half stick of butter per halved piece, brown sugar maple syrup, and cayenne sprinkled on the top edges work for me. bast often to get the sides all sticky

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Electric Don,[p]However you do it, keep it on till the interior temp is 205. That's just cooked for most winter squashes.[p]gdenby

• Slotmercenary
    Options
    Electric Don,
    i just half them and clean them, wrap in aluminum foil and cook on the grate next to whatever else is on the egg. After about 45 minutes just give the foil a little squeeze and when it is soft enough for you then take off and let sit a few minutes until you can handle. use a spoon and scoop the flesh into a bowl and season however you like it. This also works well with butternut, spaghetti squash and small pumpkins.
    Bon Apetit'

• Bigger
    Bigger Posts: 15
    Options
    Electric Don,[p]Just did this last week, turned out well, although next time i'd probably cook for a little longer.[p]Filling: DIced apples (any apple good for cooking), diced thick-cut bacon, toasted pine nuts, Dizzy Pig Shakin the Tree or seasoned salt with a little lemon juice. [p]halve the squash...fill each half the the edge. Sprinkle with brown sugar and wrap bacon around the top edge. [p]Cook at indirect at 350 untill they're soft - might consider topping with foil for the first 30 mins, and then removing to get the bacon crispy.[p][p]
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Sounds pretty GOOD!