Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what kind of injector

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
with all the talk on ham/turkey injecton i want to try it. in several pics i see plastic and stanless steel injectors. what works the best?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Mickey,[p]At this years Eggtoberfest someone had a ham they had injected with Honey Praline Marinade. You can buy the Cajun Injector brand or Tony Chacceri (sp?) You can buy the refill bottle or one with the injector included. We live in Atlanta and my wife found Tony's brand at Wal Mart yesterday. I can't wait to do a ham next weekend.[p]Inject the ham all over. Then score the ham and rub with marinade & nuts (if you like nuts). Cook indirect with platesetter & drip pan for how long the ham package suggests. YUmmy....[p]Good luck[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    IMG_1988.jpg
    <p />Mickey,
    over the years I've gone through a lot of those cheapies. Maybe 2 hams and the plastic vial gets cracked or most often the plastic threads get stripped. I've just excepted the fact these are disposable tools and do not get ticked any more. I have found this unit however at Bed Bath & Beyond for $10 (less with 20% coupon) and it is sturdy. I except it will last much longer! Note it has two sizes of needles - only draw back is the needles are straight tubes not the pinched end with side holes.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    I meant to add that I plan to smash the end of one of the needles and then using a Dremmel I'll either cut or grind side holes. But again even if I ruin it that won't be the first to go bad quickly!

• Retread
    Options
    Mickey, Try the link below. I bought one of these a couple years ago after going through many cheepies and have been very pleased. This thing is awesome.[p]http://www.spitjack.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MAGNUM&gclid=CJfRy_WJ0I8CFQGNHgod-UIdzA

• Mickey
    Options
    Retread,
    Is that not outlawed in 6 states?
    WOW...........
    Thanks, that could work.
    Mickey

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EggspertMN
    Options
    Mickey,
    Hey, this is a great question. You"ve seen my collection of injectors. The one you get will almost certainly depend on how often you are going to use the injection method. I would suggest that you try it first. get the Cajun injector with the injector packeged with it. give it a try. if this is something you like, they also make a stainless steel one that holds about 4oz. That is the one I use. Or get the one that RRP recommends. I happen to use mine frequently, so I have a good one. [p]I have gone to the local Feed Mill and bought syringes used for horse vaccinations. These work well too. [p]One tip. Wash them well when you are done. Then when dry, put a little oil on the O-ring, for storage. you will find that the syringe will not stick the next time you use it. [p]Have fun[p]M

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    RRP,
    do you still own the really big cabellas one, pretty useless for what he wants to do, however it works really good injecting pulled pork about half way into the cook with vinegar base sauces. ive been injecting them during the plataue stage while in the egg so mess isnt much of a problem with that injector

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    IMG_0832.jpg
    <p />fishlessman,
    no, I sent this 18" long monstrosity back.

• Mickey
    Options
    Retread,
    Just called the guy you gave me the site address. I ordered the 4" short regular one (not the industrial one).
    Thanks, people like you make this forum what it is.....

• ranger ray
    Options
    vidalia1,
    check cabela's out.... they have two sizes.... both are made of heavy duty stainless.... and are reasonably priced.... all of their stuff is unconditioanlly guaranteed...i've had both sizes for five years and they are excellent!( i know i sound like i work for cabela's... but it's hard to beat their price/quality)

• raider60
    raider60 Posts: 62
    Options
    So as a newbie, which size should I get? The two or four ounce variety? I intend on smoking briskets, turkeys, pork butt/shoulder. Thanks for your help-